Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Planned completion date - a break down per task in an issue?

Level 4

I think I know the answer but wanted to pose it to the community to see if anyone has any other ideas / suggestions.

One of my teams are under resourced:

- They have many requests sitting in a queue.

- They don't don't want to convert requests into project based on the teams work load / time availability 

- They have 3 different job functions working on each request (copywriter, designer, translator) who are all working on the 1 planned completion date that pulls though on the issue despite all having different durations to finish their individual tasks.

QUESTIONS:

1. Is there any way to break down the planned completion date? (without converting it into a project)

2. Has anyone encountered something similar and have advice on how to manage this so they can all work to an individual deadline on an issue?

Thanks as always

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi there, converting an issue to a task is exactly that - making it into a task within an existing project. Converting an issue to a project usually means you're taking the request and then converting it to a project with a template that has multiple tasks/assignments instead of converting it to a singular task.

@Heather_Kulbacki yes, you can attach a custom form in the issue > task conversion.
@Jaxelle if each request sounds like it involves 3 people/functions to complete them, you could either:
- Leave them as issues and assign the necessary people/functions to the issue and modify the overall planned completion/due date - this would mean they'd need to know when their own portion is due. Which may make more sense to ...
- Convert them into a project using a project template that already has the tasks for the 3 functions and even assignments, if applicable. If your durations are pretty turn-key, could have them set in the template too and then converting to project using a template and making the project Current seems pretty low LOE.

- Convert them all to tasks as Heather mentions above, and can set each task's planned completion date accordingly. 

If this helped you, please mark correct to help others : )

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Community Advisor

@Jaxelle  Could they have 1 project and convert those issues to a task with a template that has a sub-task for each function.

It's been quite awhile since I've converted an issue to a task, I can't remember if you can use a template during the conversion or if you have to add the sub-tasks template after you've created the initial task from the issue and place those tasks under the correct parent task.

Level 4

What's the difference between converting an issue into a project rather than a task?

They're trying to avoid any extra manual tasks (although I know it's a quick thing, they don't want any extra steps)

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi there, converting an issue to a task is exactly that - making it into a task within an existing project. Converting an issue to a project usually means you're taking the request and then converting it to a project with a template that has multiple tasks/assignments instead of converting it to a singular task.

@Heather_Kulbacki yes, you can attach a custom form in the issue > task conversion.
@Jaxelle if each request sounds like it involves 3 people/functions to complete them, you could either:
- Leave them as issues and assign the necessary people/functions to the issue and modify the overall planned completion/due date - this would mean they'd need to know when their own portion is due. Which may make more sense to ...
- Convert them into a project using a project template that already has the tasks for the 3 functions and even assignments, if applicable. If your durations are pretty turn-key, could have them set in the template too and then converting to project using a template and making the project Current seems pretty low LOE.

- Convert them all to tasks as Heather mentions above, and can set each task's planned completion date accordingly. 

Community Advisor

@Madalyn_Destafney I know you can attach a custom form while converting an issue to a task, but can you attach a template? So your issue would become a parent task with child tasks already attached below it to alleviate the need to create additional child tasks for the 3 roles.

@Jaxelle if you can attach a template while converting an issue to a task, I think the advantage is that you'd convert those tasks into the same project every time and wouldn't need to set up an entire project with each conversion. 

Community Advisor

Hi Heather, I don't think can attach a template to an issue > task conversion, bc a template usually implies you have multiple tasks. When I go to convert an issue, the only template-related options are with a project, not a task...

Madalyn_Destafney_0-1696952137227.png