Expand my Community achievements bar.

Organizing Requests in a Report

Level 10

Every week we review all the open requests as a group and I show a report on my screen for us to look at. My problem is I can't organize them in a way that makes sense. When I do it by Queue Topic it lists all the sub-topics separately and they aren't all together and they don't alphabetize properly either - so I can't click on Name and have them come up in that order if I named them in a way that would work. Same for by Category - it is too granular as most topics have their own form.

Ideally what I want is for the main Queue Topic to be the organizing factor. For example we have this structure, and I'd like to group all the Website Requests together. In this example each of the sub-topics has a different form (category).  How would you handle this?

Website Requests

- New landing page requests

- Edits to existing pages

- Edits that need copywriting

5 Replies

Community Advisor

sounds like what you consider to be the "main Queue Topic" is actually the topic group? So you would maybe group by topic group name in that case?

Level 10

The only choice is "Queue Topic Name" and it pulls each one, I don't have a choice of "Main Queue Topic" -- do you have that?

Community Advisor

You can use the API explorer to find it.

Just look up the Issue object, and notice that one of the fields you have access to is Queue Topic ID. This basically means you have a way to refer to all the fields associated with the queue topic ID on the issue object.

Go to the references tab, click on Queue Topic to open it, and click on the link to go to the queue topic object.

Notice that one of the fields is the Parent Topic Group ID -- the topic group is the next level up from the queue topic and is a way to group queue topics together under one umbrella (I assume this is what you were talking about when you said "main queue topic"). Again -- an "ID" field basically means you have a way to refer to all the fields associated with the parent topic group ID on the queue topic.

So go to the references tab, click on the parent topic group field to open it and click on the link to go to the topic group information you need.

The textmode for your grouping basically ends up looking something like this:

group.0.valuefield=queueTopic:parentTopicGroup:name
group.0.valueformat=string
textmode=true

On your request report, it means "refer to the queue topic object on the request (which is possible since requests have the ID of the queue topic to use as a reference), then refer to the topic group object when you get to the queue topic in question (which is possible since queue topics have the parent topic group ID as a reference), and look for the name of the topic group once you get to the parent topic group in question".

Level 10

Another reason the API people have a better experience. (I'm not one of them  )

Community Advisor

I know... that's why I'm laying out directions, so you feel like you learn something every time.