Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Opening project view in new tab from links in task-based report.

Level 4

Hi.

I run a few regular task-based reports from which I often need to navigate to the associated project of some of the tasks. If I click on the link in the Project: Name column, it navigates to the project in the same tab, but I prefer to navigate to another tab, keeping the report open. To do this, I have to hover over the Project: Name link until the detail popup appears, then right-click on the project name in the popup. If I right-click on the Project: Name link, it opens the task in a new tab.

Is there a way to change the link reference in the Project: Name column to make the navigation simpler?

Thank you,

Shawn

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

hey. I checked in with my Mac user, and we are able to get this to work by holding down the Command key and clicking on the project link. Can you do that and see if it works?

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Community Advisor

I might be missing something but (if you are in Classic) I just control-click on the project name and it opens in a new tab when I do that.

I think I did note in the New Experience that this isn't happening. I was hoping to get it acknowledged as a bug but to be honest, I think at the time everyone decided it was working as designed and I gave up and didn't argue the point. I might have just mentioned it as a feedback item in that case.

Level 4

I am in Classic and on a Mac, and control-click reacts the same way as a right-click does. The only way I can open the referenced project view in a new tab is to hover, wait for the popup, and right-click (or control-click) on the project name in the popup. I don't understand why the hyperlink for a right-click would be different from a direct click.

Community Advisor

Oh... I'm on a PC so I can't really help very much with Macs. Sorry! But it might help you to know that I think I can't replicate your problem. Shown below is a sample task report. The first column is the project name. If I control click on that cell where the project name is, I get the project in a different tab. (I'm in Chrome) .

Can you try on a different browser if you have access to several? I'll also ask my coworker that has a mac, if you can't get an answer before tomorrow.

0690z000007ZwUQAA0.png

Level 4

It is the same in both Firefox and Chrome. Here are screen shots of a test report showing the project as the link destination when I hover and the task as the destination when I right-click.

Community Advisor

OK. I'll check in with my Mac user when we meet tomorrow and let you know. But for PCs, right clicking will give you that abbreviated menu (open in new tab, edit, delete), and ctrl-click will give you the project in a new tab. So I'll ask him if there's some other combination of keys that would give you the ctrl-click behavior of a PC.

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

hey. I checked in with my Mac user, and we are able to get this to work by holding down the Command key and clicking on the project link. Can you do that and see if it works?

Level 4

Thank you very much, Skye (and fellow Mac user). That works!

So, just to be clear, there is no way to change the link reference through text mode?

Community Advisor

Shawn: correct. My understanding is that the Workfront right click functionality defaults to the entire row. (You'll notice you can right click anywhere on the row and that behavior overrides what we users would normally expect--which is that right-clicking on a link would engage behavior around the link.)

There's no way to affect this behavior through text mode. Thankfully ctrl (or command) click still works as we expect. Sorry not to have better news. :)