Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Only display certain checkbox choices on different custom forms

Level 5

We have a custom checkbox field on our intake (request) form, and the field has about 40 different choices that can be checked off/on. We are also using this field on another intake form and would like to only show a subset of the choices on that second form. Is there a way to do this?

I've tried the "Hide Choice" option, but this seems to hide the choice on all forms rather than just the form I'm editing. Any suggestions?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

If you hide/remove choices from a field drop-down/checkbox/radio button answer options, those changes would be reflected in any form that field is used in, as you experienced. If you have a field that want to show different options, even an abbreviated set of another field’s same options, you’d need to create a different field. 

If you want both fields living on the same form and display other questions based on answer to the first question, you can do so using display logic (ie XYZ answers on question 1 shows a different subsequent  question than if the user selected answers ABC in question 1).

If this helped you, please mark correct to help others : )

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

If you hide/remove choices from a field drop-down/checkbox/radio button answer options, those changes would be reflected in any form that field is used in, as you experienced. If you have a field that want to show different options, even an abbreviated set of another field’s same options, you’d need to create a different field. 

If you want both fields living on the same form and display other questions based on answer to the first question, you can do so using display logic (ie XYZ answers on question 1 shows a different subsequent  question than if the user selected answers ABC in question 1).

If this helped you, please mark correct to help others : )

Level 5

I was afraid of that, thanks @Madalyn_Destafney. I would really prefer not to have to create a second field, as this will require me to update A LOT of reports to now look at (and potentially concatenate) the two fields into one. I guess I'll submit an idea.

Thanks again.

Edit: I submitted an idea, please upvote! Form-specific choices for checkbox, radio button, and dropdown fields.