Expand my Community achievements bar.

Note Text on Assignment Report

Level 2
Hello, I have created an Assignment report based on some other threads here to display open tasks and issues for a project. I would like to add a column to display the last comment or note and am striking out... Anyone done this before? Thanks in advance! Amber Nyssen TCCA
9 Replies

Level 10
Hi Amber, Great question, and one I'm happy to help with. I was able to use the ""https://wf-pro.com/textmode/text-mode-views/#latest-update" Latest Update " text mode example on the WFPro site as a starting point for the code examples below. My original example hadn't accounted for assignment reports, so I'm glad you brought this up. Here's the code that you can use to grab the first 139 characters of the latest update on an issue or task, depending on what you need. You can change the value to a larger number if you prefer. There's also the "https://wf-pro.com/textmode/text-mode-views/#latest-update-icon-hover" Latest Update w/ Icon example, which I'm sure could be adjusted to work on a notes report with some adjustments. valueexpression=IF(LEN({task}.{lastNote}.{noteText})> 140 , CONCAT(SUBSTR({task}.{lastNote}.{noteText},0, 139 ),"...(open for more) -- ",{task}.{lastNote}.{owner}.{name}," on ", {task}.{lastNote}.{entryDate}), IF(LEN({task}.{lastNote}.{noteText})>0, CONCAT({task}.{lastNote}.{noteText}," -- ", {task}.{lastNote}.{owner}.{name}," on ", {task}.{lastNote}.{entryDate}))) textmode=true valueformat=HTML displayname= Latest Update on Task namekey=latest update valueexpression=IF(LEN({opTask}.{lastNote}.{noteText})> 140 , CONCAT(SUBSTR({opTask}.{lastNote}.{noteText},0, 139 ),"...(open for more) -- ",{opTask}.{lastNote}.{owner}.{name}," on ", {opTask}.{lastNote}.{entryDate}), IF(LEN({opTask}.{lastNote}.{noteText})>0, CONCAT({opTask}.{lastNote}.{noteText}," -- ", {opTask}.{lastNote}.{owner}.{name}," on ", {opTask}.{lastNote}.{entryDate}))) textmode=true valueformat=HTML displayname= Latest Update on Issue namekey=latest update

Level 2
Hi @Narayan Raum - this is amazing! Thank you! I tried many combos unsuccessfully and this worked the first time. Any chance you would know how to combine them to show in one column together as something like Latest Task/Issue Status? Amber Nyssen TCCA

Level 10
I think a concatenation of the two functions would work just fine. Here's that example: valueexpression=CONCAT(IF(LEN({task}.{lastNote}.{noteText})> 140 , CONCAT(SUBSTR({task}.{lastNote}.{noteText},0, 139 ),"...(open for more) -- ",{task}.{lastNote}.{owner}.{name}," on ", {task}.{lastNote}.{entryDate}), IF(LEN({task}.{lastNote}.{noteText})>0, CONCAT({task}.{lastNote}.{noteText}," -- ", {task}.{lastNote}.{owner}.{name}," on ", {task}.{lastNote}.{entryDate}))), IF(LEN({opTask}.{lastNote}.{noteText})> 140 , CONCAT(SUBSTR({opTask}.{lastNote}.{noteText},0, 139 ),"...(open for more) -- ",{opTask}.{lastNote}.{owner}.{name}," on ", {opTask}.{lastNote}.{entryDate}), IF(LEN({opTask}.{lastNote}.{noteText})>0, CONCAT({opTask}.{lastNote}.{noteText}," -- ", {opTask}.{lastNote}.{owner}.{name}," on ", {opTask}.{lastNote}.{entryDate})))) textmode=true valueformat=HTML displayname= Latest Update on Task/Issue namekey=latest update

Level 10
Nice work, as always @Narayan Raum David Cornwell

Level 2
Thank you @Narayan Raum - works like a charm! Amber Nyssen TCCA

Level 2

Hi again @Narayan Raum . Wondering if you could help me with one more thing on this report! The assignment report repeats rows for each user that has not completed the task or issue when there are multiple assignments. Do you if there is a way to show each task/issue just once? Or is there a different type of report that would be better suited to show all open tasks and issues for a project? Amber Nyssen TCCA0690z000007ZgxvAAC.jpg

Level 10
Hi @Amber Nyssen , Since this is an assignments report, there are technically multiple rows so there's no way around that in this type of report. Only a task or issue report would give you a single record. You might want to consider adding those two reports to a dashboard for an overall assignment/task/issues status summary. Also, have you considered grouping your results by project name and then task name for a nice collapsible list? Try this on the report: group.0.valueexpression=STRING("± Collapse") group.0.valueformat=HTML group.1.valueexpression={project}.{name} group.1.valueformat=HTML group.2.valueexpression=CONCAT({task}.{name},IF(ISBLANK({task}.{name}),{opTask}.{name})) group.2.valueformat=HTML Thanks, Narayan

Level 10
Hi - just one thing... since you are using an assignment report, I would recommend you just use the Assigned To Name field and the Assignment Status field. In an Assignment report, each assignment is a separate line item so for the "Recipe Instructions for Smoking" you will have three of those in the report because you have three assignees. So I don't think you need the Assignments and Status columns for both Tasks and Issues to show. In my reports, I have both filters Assignment Status is not equal to Done and Task Status is not equal to Complete and it has been very popular with my department leads especially since you can group by assignee. :) Hope that makes sense. Anthony Imgrund FCB

Level 2
This definitely helped clean it up. Much thanks @Anthony Imgrund Amber Nyssen TCCA