Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for our Coffee Break Sweepstakes on July 16th! Come ask your questions or share your use cases on Creative Briefs for a chance to win a piece of Workfront swag!

Milestones

Level 3
Hi Everyone, I am looking for a brief, high-level overview of Milestones. We have been using the system for two years and we talked about it at the very beginning but never followed through. If we are designing a brochure for a client, we want to group together tasks and color code them. For instance we would have Copy: under copy would be: editing, proofreading, review, and approval. Then the same for design, the same for production (when it's at the printer) and so on. I see the area in "setup" for setting up Milestones, but just trying to get a feel of the process. This way if we had to run a status report we can show project XYZ is in milestone_______ Thank you in advance, -Mike Mike Marando Excelsior College
9 Replies

Level 10
Yeah you would set up the Milestones you want to track in that Setup page, then at each Task called "Copy" you would have to go into Edit Task and attach the Milestone you want to it. Then depending on how you have your system set up (with Projects, Programs, Portfolios, etc.) go to the screen you would use to view all your projects (or you could create a report for that too). Then switch the View to Milestone and you'll be able to see The Planned Completion Dates and % complete of those Milestones. The blanks you see below are when we didn't use that Milestone for that project. Hope that makes sense. Vic Alejandro, PMP, CSM | IT | Sr. IT Project Manager Denver Water | t: (303-628-7262) | c: (303-319-6473) "http://www.denverwater.org/"> http://www.denverwater.org INTEGRITY | VISION | PASSION | EXCELLENCE | RESPECT

Level 7
Hi Mike, Vic is pretty close, but in order to attach a milestone to a task, you first must build out the milestone path. You can build the milestone path via Setup -> Processes -> Milestone Paths . Once you have a path built out, you'll go to a project you want the milestones on, edit the project settings, and assign your milestone path. Once the milestone path has been assigned, you'll need to determine what tasks you want as your milestones. Most of the customers I directly support tend to use parent tasks, or summary tasks, as their milestones. For instance, Design. For Design, you could have Gather input, Rough Draft, Finalize, all as sub-tasks, with Design as being the parent/summary task, which is the milestone. I hope this helps! Thanks, Dustin Martin Tier 2 Assigned Support Engineer Workfront

Level 10
How can I customized this view. I have 8 milestones created, but management does not want to see all 8 - they are only interested in seeing about 4? How do I create a customized milestone VIEW? Also - how do I create a milestone report - to get the milestone name as the title of the column? Thanks.. Benetta Perry APS

Level 10
I have successfully created a milestone view within a project report. I can not send it successfully. The send report - does not show what I see inside Workfront. Thanks for the help. Benetta Perry APS

Level 10
hey Benetta, I don't think the milestone view is a sendable report, but you can certainly somewhat replicate it using Jason's "Collections" session slides. He has an example with milestones on there. -skye

Level 10
Sky, I'll go re-review those slides. Thanks Benetta Perry APS

Level 10
Actually, I can see the milestones view when I click on the link (project name) but there is an attachment in the email that does NOT show the milestone view - thus much confusion - that attachment needs to not be included - opened a ticket to see if I can do this. Thanks. Benetta Perry APS

Level 10
Well I lied - when the report is run from the email - it takes you to the Workfront login screen. Earlier, it was running under my ID - and I did not realize that. How do I get pass the Workfront login screen - over 400 clients - we do not want to assign them WF userids. Thanks. Benetta Perry APS

Level 10
Got the proper solution - thanks Skye - used a collections report - learned from Leap 2019. Benetta Perry APS