Expand my Community achievements bar.

Milestone Path: Can Only Apply to one Task in A Project

Level 4
We have setup a Milestone Path but have found that I can only apply the Milestone Path to one task in any one project. I would think that I should be able to add the milestone path to many tasks in the same project. Our team is an Agile Team and what I am trying to accomplish is associate a task with an iteration and keep it tied to the initial iteration even though on the Burndown plan I could move a task to another iteration. Essentially all of the task for an iteration would be associated with a Milestone for the iteration and that association would not change even when the task is moved to another iteration on the Iteration Plans. Frank Fornataro DHHS
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

4 Replies

Level 10
Hi - Milestones in Workfront are more like phases, hence you can only attach it to one task. We have been using custom fields to tag tasks as "milestones". That way you can tag as many tasks with the same milestone as you'd like. Anthony Imgrund FCB

Level 1
Frank, We have the same problem with my company. I agree that it would be very helpful to be able to add milestones to multiple tasks. In our timelines, several different pieces make up a 'phase'. The workaround we are using is to break the timeline into parent tasks and duplicate each piece as a sub task. If you put the Milestone on the parent, it shows complete when the sub tasks are finished. Anthony, I considered a similar solution to the one you are using, but it doesn't allow you to take advantage of the Milestone views provided by Workfront. Have you found a solution to that? Or are you using custom reports to track your Milestones? Justin Cross

Level 10
Since switching, the main thing we use is a calendar actually, color coding the milestones However, we do have a few groups that use a Milestone View similar report. It utilizes Task Collections Anthony Imgrund FCB

Level 1
Hey Anthony, Thanks for sharing, that's really smart! I need to explore calendar reports a little more, we only use them for basic functions. I have used task collections to monitor updates but never thought of using them for milestones. Justin Cross