Expand my Community achievements bar.

KickStart - Adding Custom Attribute Data

Level 10
Hi: Let's say I need to add/modify data for a custom attribute for a issue. I have a custom attribute called "Widget" that is a number. How do I export the data in WorkFront in such a way that I can update the "Widget" attribute and then upload that data, so that WorkFront issues are updated? I haven't figured out how to use a Kickstart to export custom data or import it. Does anyone have experience with Kickstart exporting/transformation/importing to update with regard to custom attributes? Thanks a bunch! Eric Lucas Eric MPM eric.lucas@crowley.com Crowley Information Technology
13 Replies

Level 10
Eric I had tried to update projects/tasks a few months ago using a Kickstart and was never able to. I was further told that you cannot accomplish updates thru a kickstart. I ended having to use the excel updater tool that from the AtAppStore. Doug was very helpful in explaining it to me and I am sure he would give you more information about. Michael Lebowitz Marketing Analyst Michael.Lebowitz@guidewellconnect.com T 904-436-4240 | M 904-200-1364 Fax 904-565-6156 4800 Deerwood Campus Pkwy DCC 800-4-272 Jacksonville, FL 32246

Level 10
Hi: I've updated information using KickStarts – but I can't figure out how to work with custom attributes using a Kickstart. Doug is great and represents a really helpful toolset. If I had budget for anything, I would have called him first L Eric

Level 10
Was there no selection available when exporting the template that included custom attributes? Michael Lebowitz Marketing Analyst Michael.Lebowitz@guidewellconnect.com T 904-436-4240 | M 904-200-1364 Fax 904-565-6156 4800 Deerwood Campus Pkwy DCC 800-4-272 Jacksonville, FL 32246

Community Advisor
Hi Eric, Where (to my knowledge) Kickstarts are Insert Only, our Excel Updater can do both inserts and updates, including custom data. "http://store.atappstore.com/product/excel-updater/">http://store.atappstore.com/product/excel-updater/ Regards, Doug

Level 10
When I select custom data in the Kickstart export, it gives me all kinds of objects not related to custom attributes on the Issue – our customizations to issues, statuses, priorities, and so on. It doesn't give me Issue information at all, just custom data. I am not aware that any of that data relates to the custom attributes on the issue object. Am I wrong? I've got no experience with this stuff and being wrong has a non-trivial probability. Thanks, Eric

Level 4
The Correct Header is ... DE:Field Name So if my custom field is Awesome Field the column header in the 2nd row is DE:Awesome Field For your convenience (NOT!) don't include any special punctuation in the field name and preferably in the field choices. Also make sure all text in any selection field is an exact match to the field values in your drop-downs, checkboxes, etc. Only the fields in bold are required, everything else can be removed. -- Melinda Layten, Senior Consultant Work Management Improvement CapabilitySource Phone: (484) 505-6855 site: www.capabilitysource.com email: melinda.layten@capabilitysource.com - we simplify your work so you can run your business -

Level 10
Agree with Melinda, we've previously uploaded custom data fields to the projects by kickstart using the DE:Field name. Polly Co

Level 10
Outstanding. That is exactly what I needed to know. I'll give it a try! Thanks very much Eric

Level 10
I thought I had this figured out but I am getting this error during the import. I was just trying to add options for A & B. Invalid Parameter: ICM Campaign Name value "A\|B" row: 3 sheet: PROJ Any suggestions? Michael Lebowitz GuideWell Connect

Level 10
Could it be the '/' or |? I know we've had trouble with special characters in the past. Vic Alejandro, PMP, CSM | IT | Sr. Technical Project Manager Denver Water | t: (303-628-7262) | c: (303-319-6473) "http://www.denverwater.org/"> http://www.denverwater.org INTEGRITY | VISION | PASSION | EXCELLENCE | RESPECT

Level 7
Hey Eric, Kick-starts are import only, they cannot update an object. However, what you *can* do is remove a custom form (category) from an issue, and re-add it via a kick-start, with the appropriate data. Custom fields are always referenced in reports, views, filters, and kick-starts with the DE: designation. Hopefully you got this working. Our consulting team is pretty good with Kick-starts, Jason Webre and Tony Messam specifically come to my mind (granted I work with them both on Tier 1 4+ years ago, so I know them well). Michael, I would ask you to contact our Support team via our Customer Care team, and upload your file to the support ticket for us to review. If needed, our Tier 1 team will work with one of our support folks that know kick-starts. Usually that error means that the first row has something in it that doesn't align with the data from that column, a special character seems to be a common issue. Thanks, Dustin Martin Tier 2 Assigned Support Engineer Workfront

Level 10
Dustin I had a ticket already opened for this and added a new entry to reflect this. The ticket #is 1112993. Thanks. Michael Lebowitz GuideWell Connect

Level 10
Hi Michael, if you have a field where the answer to the field is A and B (two choices), then on the first sheet in your spreadsheet, that cell should say: A | B and on the second sheet you should have the following (4 columns, 2 rows): name value description defaultValue CUSTOMDATADELIMITER Custom Data Delimiter \| -skye