Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Is there a template file available to import projects for Non MS Project Users?

Level 3
Hello All, I'm configuring some test projects within the stage environment. Is there a template file available to import projects for Non MS Project Users? I'm curring using Google Sheets and Excel. Any files in this format where I can export into an xml file or any file WorkFront will accept would be awesome! Many thanks for reading and your assistance!
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

7 Replies

Level 10
Hi: MS Project has more ways of importing work than WorkFront. I import everything into MS Project, massage it a little, and then create an XML from MS Project that WorkFront can consume. That is what I found to be easiest. Thanks, Eric

Level 3
Thanks for your response Eric, unfortunately I'm not able to access MS Project at this time. I've also reviewed documents available in the Workfront Community Resource page but didn't see any template files. Sure would be awesome to find templates within the resources section to leverage. Any ideas for an open source application that can do similar functionality as the one you've described to export XML data for workfront to import? Cheers - Joe

Level 10
Hi: Here is an idea, if you are game… Send me the Excel spreadsheet, whatever you have it in. I’ll upload it to MS Project and then drop it to an XML file. You can then look at the XML file and see what format it is. Maybe open it up in MS Excel and poke around a bit. As long as you stick with MS Project’s DDL/XML layout, I think you’ll be fine to upload it. Then, what you might do is just bring it into Excel, map it to that XML format, save it as an XML file, and upload it to WorkFront. That way, you are self-sufficient thereafter. I’ll help you get started. Is that possible? Do I need to sign a NDA? Let me know. Thanks, Eric

Level 10
That's a very kind offer, Eric. Joe, I'm curious. For loading test Projects, I suspect the most folks would typically: build one by hand in WF and copy as needed create a Workfront kickstart they can reuse or (if "resetting to start") use "http://store.atappstore.com/product/excel-updater/">Excel Updater Is there something special you need from an MS Project file that I'm overlooking? Regards, Doug

Level 3
Eric, Thanks for your offer however I am not authorized to engage in any type of file sharing. Doug, Thank you very much for your AtAppStore suggestion. I'll be sure to review this plugin shortly! Kind regards, - Joe

Level 3
Well Doug, the AtAppStore isn't an Excel plugin but is a third party web application that asks for my login credentials. I won't be able to use this tool.

Level 10
That's unfortunate Joe; perhaps later. Until then, Kickstarts are likey your best option, in that case. You could also use Project Actions > Export To MS Project, then delete / reimport from MS Project to "reset" your tests. Regards, Doug