Expand my Community achievements bar.

Do you have questions about the migration to Adobe Business Platform? Come join our upcoming coffee break and ask away!

Is it possible for Planners to create Programs?

Level 4
We have several new departments in our company beginning to use Workfront but we are not making any of them system admins as they haven't had the training, etc. However, we want to give them the ability to create programs for their company within their portfolios, which have already been set up. Even though the Planner permissions setting says that they have the right to do so (see screen grab), the "Add Program" option isn't available to them when they are on the Program page. Is there a restriction on who can create programs? Is it limited to system admins? I seem to recall hearing something about that ages ago during our original implementation. We'd like to avoid being the ones to create programs for these other departments every time they need one but are very hesitant to give them sys admin-level access. Chris Watson KVH Marketing
5 Replies

Level 4
Programs are part of a portfolio. I believe that you will need to first give them Manage permission at the Portfolio level. Try that and let us know if it works. Agnes Leslie Facebook, Inc.

Level 10
That appears to be correct. I just tried it and it works in our setup. Vic Alejandro, PMP, CSM | IT | Sr. Technical Project Manager Denver Water | t: (303-628-7262) | c: (303-319-6473) "http://www.denverwater.org/"> http://www.denverwater.org INTEGRITY | VISION | PASSION | EXCELLENCE | RESPECT

Level 7
I have quite a few managers in our department who need to be able to add Programs. In order for them to be able to do this, it is as Agnes and Vic said and that they need to be given 'Manage' permission at the Portfolio level. But, I also needed to modify their "Access Level" to allow for the ability to create a Program. We have two "Access Levels" for Plan Licenses. One Access level has the ability to add Programs, one does not. For the one that does allow to add Programs, I had to modify the "Portfolios/Programs" section and change it from "View" access to "Edit" access and checked off the ability to "Create". I did not check off the ability to "Delete" though, as a safeguard against managers deleting whole Programs by accident and thereby deleting all of the associated Projects under that Program. If they need to delete a Program, they submit a request to our Admin Queue, and we take it from there. Hope this helps. Terry Terry Hynd EBSCO Information Services

Level 4
Thanks, Agnes! That was exactly the issue. I appreciate the help. Chris Watson KVH Marketing

Level 4
That's a great refinement, Terry. Thank you. Chris Chris Watson KVH Marketing