Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Is anyone aware of a mechanism to drive task creation within a project from a GoogleSheet?

Level 2

Hi everyone and thanks for looking. My challenge is the tasks for projects are typically too variable to meaningfully build into a template, so currently projects are built from a template to cover core tasks then a project manager will review vs a detailed brief in GoogleSheets and manually add tasks to the project.

Clearly that's very inefficient, so I'm wondering whether anyone is aware of a means of Workfront referencing the GoogleSheet and adding tasks to the project accordingly?

Ideal is can this be done within Workfront and Fusion, but my investigations thus far suggest not. In which case also very appreciative of any suggestions as to other ways this could be achieved. Thanks for any suggestions!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

I did some quick reading, and it looks like it should be doable in Fusion. I think you can use the default modules, but worst case there is an option to build custom calls to googlesheets, so anything possible with the Googlesheets API is possible for Fusion to use, but I think the "Get a cell" module will get what you need, or the batchGet call from the Googlesheets API, depending on what all you want and how your sheets are setup.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Level 10

Hi @RT_Ops,

If you think spreadsheets are the best approach for your crew, I invite you to consider our Excel Updater solution, which can do both Inserts and Updates of Tasks (etc.)

Regards,

Doug

Community Advisor

This should be doable. I haven't used it, but I know there is a googlesheets module in Fusion that I would assume you could use. What is causing concern that it would not be possible?

Other alternatives to this could be using @Doug_Den_Hoed__AtAppStore 's, or writing your own custom code, but again, if you have Fusion currently, you should be able to leverage it.

Level 2

Hi @ChrisStephens , thanks for the reply. Main reason for concern re: Fusion is zero knowledge of the product beyond what I've found on Experience league and the Googlesheets elements referenced there being more related to updating a sheet based on progress through a project (ie Workfront to Googlesheet action rather than Googlesheet to Workfront). I'll keep digging as it does feel there may be a solution there!

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

I did some quick reading, and it looks like it should be doable in Fusion. I think you can use the default modules, but worst case there is an option to build custom calls to googlesheets, so anything possible with the Googlesheets API is possible for Fusion to use, but I think the "Get a cell" module will get what you need, or the batchGet call from the Googlesheets API, depending on what all you want and how your sheets are setup.