Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for our Coffee Break Sweepstakes on July 16th! Come ask your questions or share your use cases on Creative Briefs for a chance to win a piece of Workfront swag!
SOLVED

Sandbox to Production

Level 1

I've made some major changes to a form in the Sandbox and now that I know it works correctly, I want to move the changes to Production.  

Is there a way to do this without destroying the metrics?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

If your major changes involve removing fields, yes you'd lose any data that was in those fields when you remove them from your form in Production.

There are a few ways to do this.

- pull a report for any objects that contain that form and the fields you are removing - then for each field decide whether you need to move that data to another field or maybe you don't need to keep it. If moving the data the field you're moving it to can also be added to the report and you can make the changes right from there. Depending on number of fields and number of objects this can be time consuming and tedious.

- move the fields you're removing to an Admin only section on the form so no one else can see them

- make a new form that contains the fields you're removing, add that new form to all objects that contain the form you want to make the changes from sandbox to. By adding that new form, any fields with the exact same name should populate with that same data, so you've got still got it on those objects. Then you can remove the fields from your original form.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Level 7

What do you mean by destroying the metrics?

I'm not sure if there's a way to migrate the fields, I'm assuming you would have to add the fields to the form to match what was in the sandbox environment.  If you're keeping the same form, any metrics would remain the same - how many times was this report viewed, etc.

Not sure what metrics specifically you're talking about.

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

If your major changes involve removing fields, yes you'd lose any data that was in those fields when you remove them from your form in Production.

There are a few ways to do this.

- pull a report for any objects that contain that form and the fields you are removing - then for each field decide whether you need to move that data to another field or maybe you don't need to keep it. If moving the data the field you're moving it to can also be added to the report and you can make the changes right from there. Depending on number of fields and number of objects this can be time consuming and tedious.

- move the fields you're removing to an Admin only section on the form so no one else can see them

- make a new form that contains the fields you're removing, add that new form to all objects that contain the form you want to make the changes from sandbox to. By adding that new form, any fields with the exact same name should populate with that same data, so you've got still got it on those objects. Then you can remove the fields from your original form.

Community Advisor

If you are meaning is there a way to push the changes over to sandbox from production and not having to do it manually (I'm reading metrics as your performance metrics, others have covered other meanings), unfortunately the answer is no. I have written some code for myself to do this for me, so that is an option for you as well, if this is going to be a frequent situation.