Expand my Community achievements bar.

Do you have questions about the migration to Adobe Business Platform? Come join our upcoming coffee break and ask away!

Integrated Campaigns - Multi-Tactic Campaigns/Projects

Level 3
Hey everyone! Updating an old post to ask if there is anyone that wouldn't mind sharing their process of managing large, multi-tactic campaigns/projects in Workfront. Challenge: some people working in the project are overwhelmed by the number of tasks. Thanks, Connie Sutherland, CPPM CareerBuilder
13 Replies

Level 3
*bump Connie Sutherland, CPPM CareerBuilder

Level 1
I'd be curious to hear others' thoughts as well. We are creating individual projects for each tactic and grouping them within programs. However, recently some team members have started exploring having multiple components in one project, using parent tasks to separate out schedules for each component within the project. Thomas Barntsen Securian Financial Group, Inc

Level 4
Hi Connie, We have omni-channel campaign implementations and use a single project with around 285 total tasks. We make use of headers to visually break it up into components. We have considered using separate projects but the team felt that going into each separate project was more cumbersome than digging through a single. We've accepted the pain of a high volume of tasks in order to be able to manage in one project. Thanks, Jean Jean Chapdelaine NovuHealth

Level 4
I should add that I'd be happy to sit down with you at Leap and talk through it. Jean Chapdelaine NovuHealth

Level 7
We have each tactic as a separate project. We recently started including a project just for the campaign. The project owners submit a marketing plan to be approved by their manager, and then it gets converted into a project. The project includes tasks like 'kick-off meeting' and 'execute copy' and 'execute design concept'. The copy for the individual tactics are saved in this project as the copywriters generally write all the copy in one document. Instead of having to upload the copy to multiple projects, they just upload it to this campaign document. The designers use this campaign project to get the concept approved, and then apply the approved layout to all of the tactics in the other projects. We don't use programs in the same manner as others might. We just use them structure our files/projects in the same manner we organize our folders on our server. There might be multiple campaigns in the same program. The way our organization is structured, having one project with a task for each component/tactic for the entire campaign wouldn't really work for us either. Leah Janz Metro Transit

Level 4
We use individual projects for each piece and group them in programs. However, I don't like that you cannot archive programs after the campaign is done. Jean or Connie, if you do decide to meet up and discuss how you are doing these, would it be ok to join you? We are struggling at times to keep things lined up, and I would like to see how people do it all in one project or even how others are breaking theirs up. Michelle Jackson Colony Brands, Inc.

Level 6
We have some projects with 500-1000 tasks. I've seen things work better when the first level (or 2) of indentation has a predefined structure covering all project work. If any work falls outside the defined scope, make a new parent task following the you structure to hold it. That way no one is tempted to make new tasks at the top indentation level (and the PM should help manage this). We use templates to guide this approach for development projects. In the end, you can usually collapse the entire project plan into about ~15 parent tasks, and expand any one section for a much less daunting view. Matt Marks Banner Engineering Corp.

Level 4
Hi - we previously had a project per tactic, but we launched Groups a few months ago; essentially, the project / campaign should be that, and we create multiple tactics as a part of that one project. This helps give visibility to the full list of tactics, helps get the same designers on the project, gives ONE timeline for the tasks related to the tactics and consolidates all of the project details - versus having comments / details spread across multiple projects. I'd be more than happy to show how we're doing this for anyone interested (we'll also talk about this during our presentation at LEAP). Jaimeson Wennerstrum HealthPartners

Level 4
Jaimeson, I would be interested in learning more. I just looked up your presentation and unfortunately, it's during one of the sessions my manager would like me to attend (Agile/waterfall). I would appreciate a meet-up during the conference if you would have some time. Michelle Jackson Colony Brands, Inc.

Level 4
Seems like we should have this be a priority topic at our May 21 local user group. Jean Chapdelaine NovuHealth

Level 2
We have emails with 50-100 tasks and use one project and have created a template with headers for each week like Jean does. For campaign projects, we add all of the details to the campaign but open individual projects from that campaign per tactic. I'd be interested in learning about other ways this could work as well. Rebecca Johnson Life Time Fitness, Inc.

Level 3
I'm coming in late to this discussion, as I was searching for best practices where campaigns are concerned. Just curious, did you all have other discussions at Leap that lead to a best workflow practice concerning campaigns? Debbie Scalf BCBST - Corporate Communications

Level 3
Not specifically, there were some great presentations, I was not able to attend any specific to this. I do think we could kick this around at our next local user group meeting. Connie Connie Sutherland, CPPM CareerBuilder