Expand my Community achievements bar.

Do you have questions about the migration to Adobe Business Platform? Come join our upcoming coffee break and ask away!

Instead of manually entering in fixed dates for a task, is there a way to program a task use specific fixed dates from a custom form?

Level 2

For example, I'm trying to make fully automated templates that push back from an event date. Right now, I have to manually key in fixed dates into the event date task line once my project is live to push all the tasks back to a start time.

The show dates already exist in a custom form that's populated during a kick-start. So if I could somehow program the event date task to pull the dates from the custom form automatically, then the entire template would be truly automated. Thanks in advance!

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

5 Replies

Level 7

Hi Rebecca -

I use the predecessor relationships to drive task dates. When you input the predecessor number you can put -5d, as an example, to make the start date of the successor 5 days prior to the end date of the predecessor task.

Hope this helps,

Teale

Level 2

Hello! Thanks for your response. My template will use the predecessors to push back tasks from a fixed event date. What I'm trying to eliminate is having to key in the fixed event date every time I use the template, since every event will have different fixed dates. I'm assuming if the end date already exists in the custom form, there's got to be a way to direct the task to pull that date.

Level 4

Hi Rebecca,

Feel free to check my attached visual. In this example, I've got my fixed dates in a small (parent-child) cluster at the bottom of the project. Please note that the calculation is done on a calendar day basis. Then, up there in the project schedule, we can use business days as duration. For your case, I'm thinking... if you have the fixed dates inside the project schedule somewhere at the bottom, then you might be able to have an implementation similar to this example. LMK if any questions. Glad to help!

Best,

+Pavlin somewhere at the bottom

Level 10

Very slick Pavlin -- thanks for sharing!

Your technique reminded me of my Get a Handle on Project Start Date blog post , which might also be of use.

Regards,

Doug

Level 9

Hi Rebecca,

We have a template like this for a very strict release process we've got. When using this template, the user just has to input the predetermined release date as the completion date for the project and all of the task dates get set as per very specific guidelines. This is done with predecessors (per a previous comment), durations and task constraints, as well as some placeholder tasks. It took quite a bit of effort to get things tweaked just right in our case, but once we got it, it works perfectly.

Here is a screen shot of the template and a sample resulting project.

Template

0694X00000C0mnwQAB.pngProject - note that no dates were entered, other than the desired go live date of 4/2/21

0694X00000C0mnrQAB.pngI'm happy to share additional information with you if this looks like what you're wanting to achieve.

Take care,

Alison