Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

How to flow expenses from Projects up to Campaigns and up to Portfolio?

Level 3

Hi,

We are tracking our Projects expenses via the Expenses tab. On the Project level, I'm using the Actual Expense Cost and Planned Expense Cost field to get an overview of how much each Project has spent. It sums up all the expenses which is what I want.

However, it looks like Workfront does not have the ability to sum up all the Project Expenses to the Campaign level and also up to the Portfolio level. I might be wrong.

Is this possible?

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

You can create reports for your expenses (not filtered by any project), then put those reports on a Dashboard.

Then from the layout templates, add the dashboard to the left nav of the Programs page (and/or the Portfolios page), it will pull in expenses from the projects within whatever Program anyone who has that layout template is looking at.

See item #4 on this page: Customize the left panel using a layout template

Here's an example of the layout template assigned to me, with our Expenses Dashboard added to the left nav of the Programs page

Custom Dashboard.jpg

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

You can create reports for your expenses (not filtered by any project), then put those reports on a Dashboard.

Then from the layout templates, add the dashboard to the left nav of the Programs page (and/or the Portfolios page), it will pull in expenses from the projects within whatever Program anyone who has that layout template is looking at.

See item #4 on this page: Customize the left panel using a layout template

Here's an example of the layout template assigned to me, with our Expenses Dashboard added to the left nav of the Programs page

Custom Dashboard.jpg

Level 3

Thanks @Heather_Kulbacki. It looks like your solution will solve this. Now I just need access from my sys admin for access to layout templates.

Level 3

Hey @Heather_Kulbacki, how would you set a filter in the report to show only expenses in that Project or Program?

Community Advisor

If you're putting the dashboard that houses that report in the left nav for projects (or programs), you don't need any filter. Once the report if effectively on that project it will only pull expenses that are in that same project.

Hi Heather - I realize this is a fairly old thread, but I've recently attempted to implement the solution you recommend above (embedding an expense log report within a dashboard in the left nav of a program) and when the report loads, it is displaying expense line items from multiple programs. Attaching a screenshot example for reference. Any ideas on how to resolve?

mgiannettino1_0-1715142113207.png