Expand my Community achievements bar.

How Do You Capture PM/Oversight Hours on Projects?

Level 10
Curious how you all capture Project Management (oversight) hours on projects? And do you have a way if the project gets extended, to auto extend the PM hours (so that resource is allocated for the length of the project)? Katherine Haven, PMP VP, Director, Business Technologies - PMO FCB
2 Replies

Level 10
Hi Katherine, We just have a task called Miscellaneous PM Activities that we maintain to last the duration of the project. I tie the Pred with a Start to Start on the first task of the project so the Start date moves with it (in case the start is delayed or something – then I can just change the one starting task and all other tasks will move with it). I estimate the rest of the project tasks to establish the project duration, then I manually change the Duration to coincide with the project duration. On the Planned Hours I calculate how many hours a week I think I'll spend on running the project (i.e. meetings, updating the plan, status reports etc.) and just multiply that by the weeks of duration of the project. It's important to be careful not to double book here as I also have actual tasks assigned to myself in the plan (i.e. Create Project Charter, Risk List, etc.). Each week when I update the plan I also update the % Complete on this task to equal the % Complete of the project. If the project is 83% complete, so am I �� . If the project end date slides out I adjust this task as well to keep it in sync and real. Anyway, that's how we handle it.

Level 4
Hi Katherine, We use the timesheet function to log PM oversight hours on projects and choose unbillable for the task. Rochelle Dr. Rochelle L. Webb, CSM Sr. Project Manager, Project Management Office MHMR Tarrant County Ft. Worth, Texas 817-569-4146