Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

How do I create a user task report showing tasks assigned in projects, requests assigned to them, and tasks they create for themselves via "My Work"?

Level 3

Essentially, I'm trying to create a fully comprehensive report showing everything a user has in their queue, or to do list, at any given point. I'd like to show:

• tasks assigned in a project
  • assignments when a request is submitted via request queue
  • assignments when a user requests something from another user directly
  • tasks a user creates for them selves
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

10 Replies

Community Advisor

Hi Chris,

Take a look at this document in Workfront one, it provides the code needed to build a report showing tasks and requests in one report view. Hope this helps!

Best Regards,

Rich.

Level 3

Hi Richard,

This is immensely helpful - thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction!

By chance, do you know how to filter this report to a specific user's tasks? The current code as-is shows all users tasks / issues, but I'm curious how I could create this report for a specific user.

Thanks again,

Chris

Community Advisor

Hi Chris,

Setting up a filter based on 'Assigned To ID' would return only tasks / issues where that user is the only or primary assignee. However, please note that it wont work if that user is assigned to the task / issue as well as other users.

I'm not sure what the text mode code would be to include a user who is included in the assignments and is not the primary assignee. Maybe someone else in the community can help with this if this is your requirement.

Best Regards,

Rich.

Level 10

@Richard Leek‚

Does this same flaw apply if it's an Assignment report (rather than the OP's Task report)?

Community Advisor

HI Kevin,

Yes the same challenge occurs in an assignment report. You do have some other options with an assignment report though which could work for you. You are able to filter based on any of the assignee's belonging to specific group or team which would allow you to narrow down your results to a specific sub-set of users.

Best Regards,

RIch.

Level 10

Richard,

Well this is dismaying because I was creating this Assignment-based report (still testing) to replace a Task-based version (currently in use!).

If this issue is true (that it only works for Primary Assignee) then our current "go look at your dashboard" has been flawed for…over a year. We don't even pay attention to Primary Assignee because…it has no meaning for us.

Only reason I was switching to Assignment-based was to get rid of the "it's showing up on my dashboard even though I clicked Done" problem.

We use Groups for security, and Teams are used for the Request Queue and for manager reports (and some "pool assignments" that can be picked-up and worked on by any member of a team) so those methods would not provide granularity for a single person's To Do list.

I'm having a rather "ah crap" moment right now. 😢

There is absolutely no way to get "if this person is assigned to this task with other people and teams" specific to a User ID?

Community Advisor

Yes, in a task or optask report you can filter based on 'assignment users' which will filter based on a person being an assignee (regardless of whether they are the sole / primary assignee, or one of several assignees). Assignment users doesn't exist in the report builder of an assignment report. However, i'm not saying that it isn't possible (i'm not sure). . . . it might be possible in text mode, possibly using an EXISTS filter.

I'm hoping that one of the text mode guru's in the community might chip in here and help out. @NRYN R - inactive‚ - Not sure if you have any pointers here?

Level 10

Okay, *whew*, my Task report is okay. :-)

But like you, I'd like to see a solution on the Assignment report.

Community Advisor

UPDATE to conclude this thread and clarify / correct the comments made above as some were incorrect.

This question was answered / clarified in this thread here. In summary, assignment reports show each assignee as a separate line item, so every assignee is the "primary" Assigned To person. Therefore on the contrary to the thread above, using the 'assigned to' field within a filter on an assignment report will return work objects where the user is the primary assignee or a secondary assignee.

Level 10

Thanks for coming here to clarify this; I was going to do it but you beat me to it. :-)