Expand my Community achievements bar.

How can I view the original file name for previous document versions?

Level 5
Hello! So the issue is: We would like to use the Version functionality (Upload -> New Version) for the documents we will be storing on Workfront. However, we need to be able to retain the file names of the previous versions, inside Workfront, for that to be a viable option. As it stands any new version that is uploaded inherits the top level file name. We are currently renaming the top level to the most recent version, but we still need to connect to the file names of the old versions. I am wondering if there is a special report view or work around for this? Has anyone else run into this issue? Thanks, Saher
3 Replies

Level 4
Yes there is a file name field if you run a document version report that will store the original name along with a unique numeric prefix. Daniel Cooley Kenall

Level 5
Thanks! Yes, that seems like it would be helpful for auditing. I just wish there was a way to see it real-time next to the file.. Thanks, Saher Almaita

Level 9
This has long been a topic of discussion within my organization, one we have yet to solve for. I can't wrap my mind around why the system operates this way. Upload file X, your file is named X. Upload Y as a new version, BOTH files are named Y. Not only does it cause confusion within WF, but if you're trying to figure out a version control issue, you can;t match the WF file names to what's on your internal server to figure out what went wrong. Anthony Pernice Healthcare Consultancy Group