Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

How are other companies using teams in Workfront?

Level 1

We are new to Workfront and are starting to setup our system and we would like to know how other companies are using "teams" in Workfront.

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

4 Replies

Level 5

Understanding Groups vs. Teams was a challenge for me as a new system admin, and it was overwhelming because I realized that we had overengineered and were doing too much with Groups and Teams (often duplicating or using both interchangeably), so recently I did a cleanup and simplified how we're using each based on these (internal) definitions. Note that we are not using Resource Management and do not use WF across multiple departments/enterprise-wide, so our use may be way more basic than others!

Our definitions:

Groups: Organizes users into an organizational structure that aligns with the company org structure, used to give access to common resources including portfolios and reports.

Teams: Used to make assignments. Teams are different from groups in that teams may not align with the company org structure, but are needed to route new requests to multiple individuals to begin the workflow.

Level 1
Thank you very much for your response. This is very helpful as we start to build our system out.

Level 10

For us:

Teams are for assignments around a shared pool of the same role. For example, to assign to Proofreading without assigning to a specific user because we literally aren't sure who will be grabbing the task or more than one Proofreader might work on it. Teams are also used to create groups of people for reporting purposes.

Groups are security/permissions; we use them to grant access to sets of users as an aggregate. We also use them to abstract permissions away from individuals and onto groups. Groups are often by a Role in WF, but sometimes a "role" that is cross-Role or a subset of a role. The IT folks in the audience probably understand what I am getting at here. ;-)

Level 1
Thank you very much for your response. This is very helpful as we start to build our system out.