Expand my Community achievements bar.

Hidden Custom Form on Request?

Level 2
Hi All, My goal is to have a hidden custom form as part of a request that will ultimately help drive a project custom form. The request in question is made up of two forms, Form 1 (what the requestor sees and fills out) and Form 2 which is hidden and uses calculated fields to pull in data from the original request. I've found that if I do not share the custom form (via setup) that users won't be able to see it, but also that the calculated fields in it don't capture the data as expected. Currently the form is visible system wide and I have configured it with an Admin Only section break. This gets me almost all of the way to my goal, but the title of the form is still visible to everyone filling out the initial request. See attachment for reference. Does anyone know if I can hide this second form completely from requestors while still using it to carry over data to a project custom form? I will be adding this same form to multiple requests which is why I have chosen to keep it as a separate form rather than add it to each existing form. Thanks in advance! Stephen Schmidt The Home Depot Creative Services
4 Replies

Level 10
If you share the second custom form only with the manager/pm who will perform the convert-to-project action, the calculations should be applied when the conversion takes place, or when any update occurs on behalf of the manager/pm. If you need the calculations immediately applied upon submission of the request, then you will likely need to move that "Admin-only" section to the first form and hide it from the requester. A complete hack would be to name the calculations form . or _ so that the title is hidden from view. Let me know what you come up with! Narayan Raum SunTrust Banks (Data Governance BIO)

Level 2

Thanks Narayan! I was able to adjust it per your first recommendation to only give managers/pms visibility to the form. My steps and watch outs for those interested in doing the same: My home group (as the user that created the form) was getting added to the custom form by default. No matter if the form was public, private, or if I removed the group - it was always added. There may be a system setting to modify this, but as quick fix I simply changed my home group as I didn't want those users seeing the form. Edit: Found this in the WF help documentation.

<blockquote> By default, the custom form is shared with the user who created the form, and the Home Group of the user who created the form. At least one group must have access to the form. If you remove the Home Group of the creator of the form, and no other groups are given access to the form, the Home Group of the creator of the form is re-added when you save the form. </blockquote>

I then shared the custom form with the PMs that would be converting these requests. I initially tested the process while the custom form fields were still hidden by a Admin Only section header. Although the form was shared with the PMs the data could not be transferred to the project form when converted. As a final step I adjusted the visibility of the issue custom form so that all PMs would have full visibility to it. This resolved the previous issue and everything seems to be flowing as expected now. Stephen Schmidt The Home Depot Creative Services0690z000007ZiQ5AAK.jpg

Level 3
Stephen, When I've done this in the past, the group that doesn't have access to the hidden form gets an error message in trying to fill in any other forms/requests that have that "hidden" form embedded at the bottom. You have tested this and have not encountered that issue? Thanks for clarifying, Connie Connie Sutherland BSC

Level 2
Hi Connie, I tested this with a user that was not given access to Form 2 (see below) and was able to submit the initial request without a problem. Additional Details: Form 1 (Visible system-wide) Form 2 (Sharing set to private with limited list of PMs) I have a help request queue set up with multiple queue topics. Form 1 and Form 2 together make up one of those queue topics. As it stands none of the fields in Form 2 are mandatory. I'm not sure, but I could potentially see that being an issue if the form you're trying to add has required fields that the requestor can't see to fill out. Stephen Schmidt The Home Depot Creative Services