Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Help pulling in parent tasks in a collection report

Level 2

I'm using this text mode to see the actual completion date of the Strategy task, but the task is a parent task and it's not pulling in. Is there a different label to pull in parent tasks? 

displayname=Strategy Comp
listdelimiter=<p>
listmethod=nested(tasks).lists
textmode=true
type=iterate
valueexpression=IF({name}="Strategy",CONCAT({actualCompletionDate}))
valueformat=HTML

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

@Jcosta16 Thanks for sharing that screenshot! If you aren't using milestones (which would be something to consider in the future), is the parent task for STRATEGY a template task? If you are using templates to create your projects, then you can manipulate the text mode to only show tasks with the STRATEGY template task ID? It would be something like this:

listdelimiter=<p>
textmode=true
type=iterate
valueexpression=IF({templateTaskID}="INSERT ID HERE",{actualCompletionDate})
valueformat=HTML

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Employee Advisor

@Jcosta16 I assume you are starting off with a Project Report if you are adding a text mode task collection column to your view - if that is not the case, let me know! 

I created a test project in my own personal Workfront instance that had "Strategy" as a parent task, and when I pasted in your text mode code from above, it works as expected and I see the actual completion date. Is the parent task in your project exactly named "Strategy" or do you have other words included before or after? If that latter, you'll want to use the expression CONTAINS so that only parent tasks that contain the word strategy will be pulled in.

listdelimiter=<p>
textmode=true
type=iterate
valueexpression=IF({numberOfChildren}>0&&CONTAINS("Strategy",{name}),{actualCompletionDate})
valueformat=HTML

Level 2

Thanks, Nichole! This helped, but I'm realizing there are multiple sub parent tasks with strategy in the name, so it's pulling those in too. Open to any suggestions (even if it's a task report) to pull this in a little cleaner.

I'm just struggling to isolate the parent task. We have a lot of tasks that have 'strategy' in the name, and including 'number of children' is hard because sometimes the task is a parent, sometimes it's a grandparent, etc. If you look at the screenshot below, you'll see what I mean. What I only care about is the actual start/comp dates of the highest STRATEGY parent task.

They don't have milestones on their parent tasks, either, or else I'd just pull that. Sigh.

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

@Jcosta16 Thanks for sharing that screenshot! If you aren't using milestones (which would be something to consider in the future), is the parent task for STRATEGY a template task? If you are using templates to create your projects, then you can manipulate the text mode to only show tasks with the STRATEGY template task ID? It would be something like this:

listdelimiter=<p>
textmode=true
type=iterate
valueexpression=IF({templateTaskID}="INSERT ID HERE",{actualCompletionDate})
valueformat=HTML