Expand my Community achievements bar.

Help! Please upvote this idea for Innovation Lab: Assign Multiple Teams on a Task

Level 4

Hi everyone,

My company is in dire need of the Workfront team to work on this idea. Not having the ability to assign multiple teams to a task is causing a few timeline problems. Please help get this idea noticed!

Upvote here: https://one.workfront.com/s/idea/0870z000000PSV8AAO/detail

Thank you!!

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

11 Replies

Level 10

Hi Narothnee,

I expect it might take quite some time to generate enough interest on the current “only one team per task” limitation for Workfront to then reconsider it (let alone approve and develop it), but as you are in dire need, I invite you instead consider the following workarounds:

1. Create common “combo teams” (eg “Team A and B”, with the superset of all users from Team A and Team B), which would then allow the As Designed visibility and Team based functionality. There might be a few practical limitations, so I’d suggest you set up a few common examples and follow them through to confirm the benefits warrant the extra work of maintaining combo teams over time (which, by the way, could be automated, if cost justified).

2. Alternatively, create a Teams multi-select dropdown custom parameter with one entry per team, using the Workfront name of each Team as the Label, and the ID of each Team as the Value. To then assert that a particular task is intended to be assigned via the Teams create a team called “multi-team”, optionally, with every user included if that is advantageous enough (eg for “full visibility”) to warrant the duplicate maintenance of the multi-team membership. When such a Task needs to be planned (on a Template, or a Project), multi-select the appropriate options in the Teams dropdown and assign it to the “multi-team” Team. To then assign the appropriate resources, create a Task report that filters for Team = multi-task with columns in the view for the Teams selected the Assignments (to monitor whom among those Teams has been assigned or does self assign). If those two columns are insufficient to mentally decide and monitor coverage, you might also consider further filtering by Team (ie where Teams contains a certain Team) in order to spot (or perhaps even pinpoint, using NOTEXISTS) those Tasks still lacking at least one assignee from a particular Team.

3. Or for another quite different approach, you could also set up one user 1:1 for each Team (eg first name Team, last name Team Name; with the Home Team set to the Team for which such a user is a proxy) and leverage the existing As Designed feature that allows multiple users to be assigned to a Task. Members of each Team could then filter for Tasks assigned to the “user team proxies” of interest to them, and optionally adopt the convention of replacing the appropriate proxy assignment with their own user in the assignment, thereby confirming the transfer of custody (ie “I will work on this, on behalf of my team), and the flip side of then reassigning the proxy back in order to pass it back to their team (and/or “call for backup”)

Regards,

Doug

Level 4

Hi Narothnee,

I upvoted it, but how many votes does Workfront need? It had over 800 back in 2017 when they deemed this was not essential. Surely the same 800+ people would still like to have this implemented

@Jeremy Flores‚ - would you happen to have any influence over this please? It seems to something many of us need.

thank you,

Jennifer

Employee

Hi Jennifer,

Each vote is worth 10 points, so 800 would be 80 people, 910 would be 91 people.

However, I did just speak to Vazgen (the PM that put the response up) and he mentioned that it's not currently on our roadmap for 2021.

Thanks!

Level 4

Hi Dustin,

Got it, thank you! Any tips on getting more support from users to upvote? I posted it in one group but does not look like it made much of a difference.

Best,

Employee

Hi Narothnee,

That is a good question. You did great posting it here. I've actually also reached out to a couple of the customers I support, so you'll see it's gone up a couple votes already, and likely will continue to get a few more votes. :)

Level 4

Hi Dustin,

Thank you for letting me know.

This is great news though!

thanks

Jennifer

Level 10

Not sure if this method is still valid, but on the previous forums we had a unified "promote your idea" thread, so I recreated it on the new forums:

https://one.workfront.com/s/question/0D50z00006ZbIJBCA3/idea-exchange-promotion

Employee

I support the unification on the thread that you created Kevin! :)

Employee

Thanks for looping me in @Jennifer Miklasz‚! Here is what I can do: Add it to our current curation board for reconsideration.

We (Workfront product managers) are in the process of curating another list of top ideas to present to you (the community) for the next round of leaderboard prioritization which will happen in mid-February 2021. I think this idea could be a good candidate. Thus, I will add it to our internal curation board. Admittedly, this still does not 100% guarantee that we will take this idea on, but it does surface it as a top idea for us to consider yet again. It has enough votes; our team has simply chosen to not take it for the aforementioned reasons provided in the last response on the idea itself on 02-14-2019. However, thank you for posting this and for surfacing this need yet again @Narothnee Jean-Pierre‚. We'll see where this falls in the rankings... and as always, may the best ideas win.

Level 4

Thanks very much Jeremy. Appreciate you adding it to curation board.

Best,

Jennifer

Level 4

Thank you very much, Jeremy, that is super helpful.

Best,