Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Has anyone created a Hammock Activity in Workfront?

Level 1

Hello Workfront Community,

This question keeps coming up with our seasoned Program Managers that run supersized programs.  I have thoroughly searched Adobe's Experience League site, talked to Workfront Consultants and Support engineers on this topic which returned disappointing results.  I now turn to the Workfront Community for help.

For those of you that are familiar with the concept, has anyone been able to create a hammock activity (aka hammock task) in Workfront?  This functionality is in two other well known project management tools:  Microsoft Project and P6.

For those that are new to this concept, I hope this 2 minute video clearly explains it - What is a Hammock Activity? 

Any help/workarounds will be Greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Carole

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 7

If I understand what you are asking, this is how I would set it up:

Using the video example, I would create a task called something like "Complete Holiday Planning" as the last task under the parent task "Plan Holiday". 

The "hanging tasks" would be set with a constraint of "as late as possible" against the last task in the set "Complete Holiday Planning". 

If the due date for the completion of planning is subject to change based on any other task in the project, it would use a predecessor for that. 

The individual "hanging" tasks set to "as late as possible" would shift accordingly when the "Complete Holiday Planning" due date shifts. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Level 10

We occasionally do something like this. For these projects, we don't use predecessors, although there is a deadline for the project. You can use the In Progress status when you've started a task but don't mark it complete until you've actually completed it. You could also create specific task statuses if needed. There couls also be a different View for these project types that don't show predecessor, deadline, constraint, etc. Instead, you could show description, notes/updates, status, percent complete, etc.

This sounds like something easily do-able.

Level 10

Hi @CaroleKe1,

I invite you to consider our Going the Extra Milestone post, which has concepts similar to those in Hammock Activity.

Regards,

Doug

Correct answer by
Level 7

If I understand what you are asking, this is how I would set it up:

Using the video example, I would create a task called something like "Complete Holiday Planning" as the last task under the parent task "Plan Holiday". 

The "hanging tasks" would be set with a constraint of "as late as possible" against the last task in the set "Complete Holiday Planning". 

If the due date for the completion of planning is subject to change based on any other task in the project, it would use a predecessor for that. 

The individual "hanging" tasks set to "as late as possible" would shift accordingly when the "Complete Holiday Planning" due date shifts. 

Level 1

Hello Randy, Doug, and Rhonda,

Thank You for your responses! 

I was on vacation and returned to see these wonderful surprises.  Have  meetings scheduled with Program Managers to test out the options the next couple of days.  Will return and report the results.

Regards,

Carole