Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Has any changed the stacking of column chart groupings?

Level 3

I have a report that is y axis is planned hours in sum. x axis planned completion date by month. But it is also grouped column by project status. I want to change the order of how the statuses are stacked. 

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi there, charts with stacked bars will sort it in alpha order, bottom to top of the bar. So status A portion of the bar will be on bottom, status Z portion will show on top of the bar. So if you want to change how these show, it would require you to change the status names, which I doubt you'd want to do.

You can work in some text mode or column rules into your report groupings to show a name as something else (like showing a name for report column results in column rules, i.e. show XYZ dates as 'Q1') for the Details view of a report but it will still show as original names in the Chart tab since charts aren't fond of text mode. Hopefully that is something that will change with Canvas.

If you found this helpful, please mark correct to help others : )

If this helped you, please mark correct to help others : )

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Level 7

I don't think this will be possible in WF, but maybe someone will prove me wrong...

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi there, charts with stacked bars will sort it in alpha order, bottom to top of the bar. So status A portion of the bar will be on bottom, status Z portion will show on top of the bar. So if you want to change how these show, it would require you to change the status names, which I doubt you'd want to do.

You can work in some text mode or column rules into your report groupings to show a name as something else (like showing a name for report column results in column rules, i.e. show XYZ dates as 'Q1') for the Details view of a report but it will still show as original names in the Chart tab since charts aren't fond of text mode. Hopefully that is something that will change with Canvas.

If you found this helpful, please mark correct to help others : )

If this helped you, please mark correct to help others : )

Level 3

That is a good point. I have tried text mode aggregate sorting on the statues, but it didn't change the chart.  I do have a particular status that I need to show up top. I will discuss it with my team, if there isn't any other options.

Level 6

Along the lines of Madalyn's response, I've created calculated fields that introduce a number in the front to drive the sort.  For our key project phase indicator I actually have 3 calculated fields:

- primary sort order

- reverse sort order

- numeric only

I then use that field for grouping/sort order in charts/reports.

Jason_JB_0-1679684315544.png