Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Group by task with predecessor pending

Level 2
Hi everyone, I am trying to group my tasks by task pending predecessors and where predecessor is complete and add a custom text when the task is "ready" I've tried the following (and other variant) but it does not seem to work: group.0.groupdatesby=WY group.0.linkedname=direct group.0.name=Pending Predecessors group.0.notime=false group.0.valueexpression=IF(pendingPredecessors,"READY","NOT READY") group.0.valueformat=HTML group.1.linkedname=project group.1.name= group.1.valuefield=project:name group.1.valueformat=string textmode=true This one worked but I cannot have my custom text and it says "true" or "false": group.0.groupdatesby=WY group.0.linkedname=direct group.0.name=Pending Predecessors group.0.notime=false group.0.valuefield=pendingPredecessors group.0.valueformat=HTML group.1.linkedname=project group.1.name= group.1.valuefield=project:name group.1.valueformat=string textmode=true Any thoughts? Thanks, Yannick Yannick Seifert WebMD
4 Replies

Level 10
Workfront actually already has a field for this, so you shouldn't have to create one. It's called "Can Start". True means all predecessors are complete (or there are none). False means preds are not complete. Vic Alejandro, PMP, CSM | Senior IT Project Manager Denver Water | t: 303-628-7262 | c: 303-319-6473 Http://www.denverwater.org Sent via mobile phone

Level 10
Never mind. I see the issue is with your Grouping. I need to improve my reading comprehension �� . I'm taking a look now though. Vic Alejandro, PMP, CSM | IT | Sr. IT Project Manager Denver Water | t: (303-628-7262) | c: (303-319-6473) "http://www.denverwater.org/"> http://www.denverwater.org INTEGRITY | VISION | PASSION | EXCELLENCE | RESPECT

Level 10
Hi Yannick, I was unable to get it to work either. But I noticed a couple of things while playing around. This may be useless to you, but thought I'd mention it in case it spawns an idea from anyone. I took your statement that worked and changed the valueformat to booleanMessage. The only thing this did was change "false' to "False and "true" to "True". So it capitalized the first letter of the value in your grouping. Not much help, but does look a tiny bit nicer �� . The full code is below: I thought maybe the IF statement was missing the {} and/or the =, so I tried adding those group.0.valueexpression=IF({pendingPredecessors},"READY","NOT READY") - and - group.0.valueexpression=IF({pendingPredecessors}=False,"READY","NOT READY") Since it's a Boolean field I even tried: group.0.valueexpression=IF({pendingPredecessors}=1,"READY","NOT READY") None of these worked. The only thing that worked was below, which is your code just changing the valueformat to Boolean which only gave minimal improvement. Sorry I couldn't do better, but maybe this helps give someone an idea. group.0.groupdatesby=WY group.0.linkedname=direct group.0.name=Pending Predecessors group.0.notime=false group.0.valuefield=pendingPredecessors group.0.valueformat=booleanMessage group.1.linkedname=project group.1.name= group.1.valuefield=project:name group.1.valueformat=string textmode=true Vic Alejandro, PMP, CSM | IT | Sr. IT Project Manager Denver Water | t: (303-628-7262) | c: (303-319-6473) "http://www.denverwater.org/"> http://www.denverwater.org INTEGRITY | VISION | PASSION | EXCELLENCE | RESPECT ------Original Message------ Workfront actually already has a field for this, so you shouldn't have to create one. It's called "Can Start". True means all predecessors are complete (or there are none). False means preds are not complete. Vic Alejandro, PMP, CSM | Senior IT Project Manager Denver Water | t: 303-628-7262 | c: 303-319-6473 Http://www.denverwater.org Sent via mobile phone

Level 8
I realise this is a little old, but I was curious and started poking around. I think the problem is that 'pendingPredecessor' is boolean. So if you add it as a column in your report, switch to text mode and simply change valuefield = pendingPredecessor to valueexpression={prendingPredecessor} everything still works. Then you change the valueformat from anything other than booleanMessage and it is just blank. HTML doesn't work, val doesn't work. The same seems to apply to grouping. If the valueformat is booleanMessage, it works but only returns true or false. If it's not booleanMessge, it just doesn't work. We have STRING and NUMBER to convert between those formats. Does anyone know how to convert a boolean into anything else? Barry Buchanan Work Management Australia