Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Group Admin access to Teams/Associating Teams with a Group

Level 6

None of our group admins have access to Teams within Setup, Classic or WFE. I found documentation that states Teams have a group association, but I cannot find a way to make these assignments. What am I missing?

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

10 Replies

Level 10

Hi Catherine, unfortunately planners must be either a member of the team or the owner of the team. The fact that teams aren't wrapped into the standard sharing functionality continues to be a disappointment. I raised awareness to this recently in another post, and Workfront responded rather quickly by offering to roll out a patch to customers who want it. However, what they did falls short of what we need. The solution was to add some back end logic that prevents members from deleting teams in the instance by throwing an error. It's a start from a security perspective, but what we really need is the ability to add sharing to teams (Contribute, Manage) as we can other objects, such as Projects, Portfolios, Programs, Templates, etc. so we can grant group administrators more capability. Until that happens, changes to teams must be routed through a single team owner (AKA single point of failure) or through administrators, making our jobs more difficult. The documentation you referenced is highlighted in yellow, which might indicate it's a yet-to-be-released feature. Thanks for bringing this up again, as I see it as one of a handful of needed Classic fixes. --NR

Employee

Hello, Catherine, Narayan,

‚‚

I'd like to confirm that the functionality for associating teams with a group is now available in Preview and will be released to Production with 20.4 release in November. As a result, the Group Administrators will get access to manage the teams assigned to their groups.

Hope this will be helpful in the ‚team management process and please let me know if you have any questions in this topic.

Thanks!

Lilit‚

Level 6

Thanks very much @NRYN R - inactive‚ and @Lilit Mkrtchyan‚ this is very helpful!

Level 6

Hi @Lilit Mkrtchyan‚ ,

I've also seen that companies can be related to a group. Does this mean that I can restrict which companies a user with "Allow companies" can edit or view?

That would be a great improvement since we have clients (companies) from different agencies in the system and it would be helpful to limit the edit functionality to only companies of the group the user is admin in.

Cheers,

Chris

Employee

Helo, @Chris Budgen,

Allowing administrative access to companies from the access level has not been changed, it will still grant full access to all companies in the system. However when you associate a company with a group, the group administrators will automatically be granted access to manage the company. The group admins can also create companies themselves, but have to associate it with one of the groups they manage.

This means that now you don't have to grant the group admins full access to companies, and instead you can assign the companies to the correct group and thus allow the group admins to manage only those companies.

The functionality will be available in Preview tomorrow and will be part of 20.4 production release in mid-November. Hope this covers your needs!

Thanks!

Lilit

Level 6

That sounds indeed awesome, can't wait to give it a try in preview tomorrow!

Level 6

Hi @Lilit Mkrtchyan‚ ,

we are rolling out the new company-to-group feature and have encountered an odd effect. A user that has is a group admin cannot add a custom form to the company during the creation process only during the edit process later on (see screencast: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lrVwB2hwHvNPj9YHNMSFuP90FUnJ7QRy/view).

Acording to our ESA this is how it was designed which I cannot fully understand. Either one has the permission to add/edit custom forms or not, but it doesn't make sense to have differenent permissions on different screens in the process that are both accessible to the same user.

Or am I missing something?

Thanks for your 2-cents and best,

Chris

Employee

Hi, Chris,

You're right, this is not an intended behavior. The Group Admin should be able to include the custom form while creating a company. I'll make sure my team looks into this to fix it.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention!

Lilit

Level 10

Lilit, this is a great enhancement to team administration. Thank you!

Employee

Narayan, I'm very glad you find this useful. 😊