Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!
SOLVED

Gotcha: sharing Workfront URLs in NWE

Level 10

For those SysAdmins transitioning to NWE who troubleshoot for other users...

This morning, a user raised an Issue and embedded a link to a particular task level dashboard that they wanted me to take a look at, which followed a format similar to this:

https://domain.my.workfront.com/task/5f0717880036b5b4ad1c3714b9cedbb8/content-dashboard__5f52563d00b...

However, when I clicked it (with my SysAdmin account), it resolved to the Updates tab, which seemed strange. After some diagnosis, I realized that the

dashboard in question was not available to me (even though I am SysAdmin...harrumph) until I changed my Layout Template to one that included

the dashboard. Once I did so, the link resolved.

So: now that I'm aware of that gotcha, when such a link fails to resolve to where I expected it to go, I'll try to remember to swap my Layout Template; or more practically, might just Login As the user and navigate from their perspective.

To be fair, this might also have been how Workfront Classic works (untested); but this is the first situation that I recall running into it.

If anyone can offer a more detailed explanation (and/or better workaround), I'd be happy to award a Best Answer to you.

Regards,

Doug

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 8

Yes, it worked this way in classic as well. The good thing is, if they didn't have that dashboard on their layout template, at least it went to their default tab instead of having a 404 error. The only workaround is to make sure that dashboard is on every layout template.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 8

Yes, it worked this way in classic as well. The good thing is, if they didn't have that dashboard on their layout template, at least it went to their default tab instead of having a 404 error. The only workaround is to make sure that dashboard is on every layout template.

Level 10
Hey Doug, Indeed, users in Classic inherit rights to dashboards via the layout template when they’re used in this “embedded” fashion. Had you tried to access the dashboard directly, I would expect you’d be able to open it as an admin in New just as we can in Classic. Thanks, Narayan

Level 10

Thank you both, Adina and Narayan -- FIFO on the points to Adina.

Cheers,

Doug

Level 10

You can also grab the ID of the dashboard and look it up (Just paste it after https://[your domain].my.workfront.com/dashboard/ ) and then just add that dashboard to the left nav of your tasks. Then you have that dashboard on your task object type and the link works.

But yeah, I have found Log In As someone is the easiest option.