Expand my Community achievements bar.

Freelancers in Workfront?

Level 2
We would like to be able to give a freelancer basic access to specific projects so they can use our workflow without needing an intermediator, but I'm looking for a way to do this without having to buy extra Work licenses. I *have* to believe Workfront has this available and I just haven't stumbled on the solution yet, since it was created with collaboration in mind. What we're looking for is a way to assign tasks and issues to freelancers (external users). They wouldn't need access to anything else-just the project(s) they're being assigned work under. People like freelancer designers, copywriters, developers. If anyone has insight/advice on how to set this up it would be greatly appreciated. Or maybe share how your organization handles these users? We'd rather not have to buy additional Work licenses for freelancers since they come and go so often, it would be an unnecessary cost for a temporary situation. Thanks in advance for any help! Sarah Maltas mtc.
8 Replies

Level 8
You could try setting them up with "review" license types if you're just wanting them to view projects. We give our clients "review" license types. We use a lot of freelancers but we require them to log time, make updates, and view tasks/project info. We restrict them from other information and we have set them up with "work" license types that we've named to "Worker Contractors" and set the below: I hope this helps! Brooke Vaughan Rockfish Interactive Corporation

Level 7
Hi Sarah, Brooke is on point with this one. If you want your freelancers to log time and whatnot, they'll have to have a minimum of a work license. I've worked with many of our clients over the years, and what I've typically seen is a generic login, or set of logins depending on the amount of contractors you typically have at any point in time, and just rotate the users through that login, changing the password each time the person changes. I've had admins set up routing rules in their exchange system to forward emails from the generic user's profile to the contractor's profile, so that they don't miss anything, and once that user is no longer working for you, just disable the forward. You can use a Reviewer or Requestor to give basic access to projects, tasks, and issues, and you can even assign issues depending on the access level, but logging time is considered working in the system, which is why it requires a work license. I hope this helps! Thanks, Dustin Martin Tier 2 Assigned Support Engineer Workfront

Level 9
The other answers here are accurate. if you want them to be able to log time and actually close/complete tasks, they will need a work license. We utilize review licenses for a number of contracted staff. The review license allows them to be assigned to a task, and to add updates, and for Workfront to send them notifications. They can also document their progress or activities. We rely on whomever is managing them to close out the task when complete. This addresses one of our team's concerns, about being able to make accurate assignments (vs having a task assigned to them even though the contractor is doing the work). If a contractor is going to do enough work to make the above inconvenient for the managing employee, then they need a work license. Good luck to you! Alison Alison Wells Community Medical Centers

Level 2
We use the reviewer license for our freelancers. We only have three freelancers at this time and we rely on our staff to confirm that the work has been completed (and mark it complete). This has worked well for us so far. Kimberly Nixon Heifer International

Level 2
Hi Dustin, We don't need them to log time, we just want to be able to give them tasks. Do you still need to give out a Work license for that? Thanks, Sarah Maltas Merrick Towle Communications

Level 7
Hi Sarah, So technically, no. A requester isn't going to have much access to anything, they can't even update a task. However.... a reviewer lets you update a task, add documents, see task details, subtasks, issues, and even see hours. Now, they're pretty limited in what they *can* do, but they could potentially do what you're looking for. The big thing is that when you assign them to a task, you'll see the box around their name highlight yellowish and have a hover message saying "The system administrator has restricted (user's name) access to edit tasks." See the following example: So, really the reviewer would be a great option if you just need them to leave updates. Note: they cannot change task status, as again that's considered work. I would make sure you have approval processes in place for their manager to review the stuff they do in Workfront. Just a thought. I hope this helps you out! Thanks, Dustin Martin Tier 2 Assigned Support Engineer Workfront

Level 2
It does! It's given me some ideas on potential workarounds. Thank you! Sarah Maltas mtc.

Level 9
Hey Sarah, We have the same issue and our work around is as others have suggested, give them a review license and assign them to the task with the understanding that they can't mark tasks done or commit to new dates. To assign freelancers to projects that have tasks assigned to other in house resources/have predecessors and follow our workflow we the Project Owner is assigned along side them and are responsible for marking tasks complete. Drew Conklin Reliant