Expand my Community achievements bar.

Forcing a task to not be 'ready to start' until a specific date

Level 5
I've run into two issues this week where I scheduled tasks to start on specific dates, but they appear as 'ready to start' on the assignee's home page. In both projects, I added an update to the assignees letting them know to start on the specific date just in case, but they didn't see the updates. I've since tried setting future task constraints to either 'Fixed dates' or 'Start No Earlier Than' but the tasks are still appearing as as 'ready to start'. Is there a way for the constraint to actually restrict the task from being ready to start until the specified date? Janelle Hicks Lifespan Corporation
6 Replies

Level 10
Hi Janelle, I thought the Ready To Start was mainly dependent on the Predecessor being complete. If there was no Predecessor, it's Ready to Start (i.e. nothing is holding it up). But in researching the documentation it appears to depend on whether you're using Home or My Work. > https://experience.workfront.com/s/article/Understanding-Work-Requests-247524422 Under Home – It appears if the Start Date is in the future it shouldn't be "Ready to Start" yet. But under My Work, it appears to set it to Ready to Start if the Start Date is within two weeks in the future. See the link and attached. Home My Work

Level 5
Thanks for your quick response, Vic. I saw these articles but missed that they were talking about two different screens (which resulted in more confusion on my part). We're using Home so perhaps this is a bug. I'll put in a ticket and see what they say. Janelle Hicks Lifespan Corporation

Level 10
Yeah, you better or Skye will yell at you ��

Community Advisor
I also use Home and have tasks due to start in the future, with constraints of Must Start On showing when I select the Ready to Start filter. For myself, I actually want them there so I'm aware of upcoming work, so I'm not submitting a ticket :) But yeah, not working as documented.

Level 5
I usually don't mind things scheduled for the future to be 'ready to start' so if the assignee can start them sooner, all the better. But I think at the very least the constraint should mean something because there are things that shouldn't be started before the scheduled date. And the assignee can't tell the difference from Home. If something was labeled as 'not ready to start', they would still appear on home if they were 'not ready to start' when that filter was chosen. Janelle Hicks Lifespan Corporation