Expand my Community achievements bar.

Filter by Custom Form Attached to Project (Task Report)

Level 8
Hi Community, I'm hoping to get one our external print vendors setup in Workfront, but before I create a new user, I'm customizing the information that our contact person will see when he logs into Workfront. (by creating a new layout template) I'm planning to direct him to a dashboard when he logs into Workfront every day, that will have 2-3 task reports within it. Does anyone know if it's possible to report on a specific custom form attached at the project level within a task report , if there are more than one custom forms attached? Currently, it looks like it will only pull in the tasks I want - if the custom form I'm filtering on is reordered to be at the top . I want the report to include certain tasks on projects where the Category ID = Print Details for Cyber Copy, but the predicament is that this form will never be attached to a project by itself. There will always be 2 other custom forms attached in this order: Back End Project Details Print Project Details Print Details for Cyber Copy I don't want the "Print Details for Cyber Copy" to be the first custom form to appear, I want it to be third. I hope this makes sense. Let me know if anyone has any suggestions! Sydney Sydney Peterson Diversified Communications, Inc.
4 Replies

Level 10
Hi Sydney, I think I'm tracking, can explain it, and can help. Originally, Workfront only allowed a single custom form per object. Then someone (cough cough) went overboard and invented a Project level custom form with over 1700+ parameters on it. So for performance (and sanity) reasons, Workfront introduced multiple custom forms and set a limit of 500 parameters per custom form. Although there is now a 1:many relationship, the historic 1:1 "categoryID" on each base object (eg the Project, Task, etc) still exists, and is in use, storing - as you discovered - the categoryID of the "top" custom form. Despite breaking parameters up across Custom Forms, Workfront does make all of them available for reporting (subject to the custom form level section security). So in your report, you can see what you need: the trick is filtering for it. One approach would be to use textmode and look for a particular categoryID or category:name among the 1:many Project Categories collection. It's a good thought exercise and can help strengthen your textmode skills. Another more practical and non-textmode approach is to filter for a parameter that would only be populated when the (third) custom form is present (eg Cyber Copy Date is not null). Good to know the former; but personally, I'd usually opt for the latter. Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads

Level 8
Hi Doug, I need to go with option 2 because I'm not experienced enough with collections. That said, there's one issue I'm having. :( The custom form that I am planning to attach to projects going to this external vendor will have empty fields in it until I have the details I need. The details I fill in on the new custom form may come in with the original request, in which case I would fill in the fields when I'm converting to a project, but most of the time I don't have all the information up front. Can you think of any workaround to this? I still want the tasks and due dates to pull into the reports / into the dashboard for this external vendor, regardless of if I've provided all the information via the new custom form. (the problem with moving it to the top is that the designers need the details submitted in a different custom form, and I don't want my form getting in their way) I suppose I could create a task form, but it's not my first preference. (as I want the vendor to navigate to the project - but see deadlines on a dashboard that are associated with tasks) Let me know what you think and thanks again for your time and expertise, I really appreciate it! Sydney Sydney Peterson Diversified Communications, Inc.

Level 10
Hi Sydney, I'd suggest you add (and populate, by convention) a special custom date parameter (that is only on that custom form) called Date Sent To Vendor. Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads

Level 10
Extending on Doug's suggestion, and so that you don't have to select a date, you could: Add a new Checkbox field to the form in an admin-only section at the end so that users can't edit it Call it something related to your custom form name (so you can do something like this again for other forms if you want to) Remove all the other choices so there is only one choice. Click 'Set by default' in the choice's options. The result is that as long as the form is attached, this field will not be blank and you just have to filter your reports for that field not being blank. By the way....perhaps set aside some time to play around with collections some more...it is indeed a bit complicated but once you 'get it', a lot of other reporting possibilities are really opened up. :) Cheers David Cornwell