Expand my Community achievements bar.

Field Usage

Level 9
Hi! Does anyone know if there is a way to see what fields are and aren't begin used on custom forms? We are using a form that is nearing 500 fields and are looking to remove fields that are under-utilized to allow us to add new fields. Thanks, Kiersten Kiersten Kollins DSW Inc, Designer Shoe Warehouse
2 Replies

Community Advisor
Hi Kiersten, Well that is an intriguing challenge that I suspect most SysAdmins will eventually run into, so I decided to write up this save-until-needed response. I invite you to run our "https://store.atappstore.com/product/generate-excel-updater-template/" Excel Updater Generator against your custom form (with the "separate sections" option checked) to create a text file for each separate section in your custom form. For each, copy the contents (searching for then starting with the first custom parameter column, then highlight to the end) into a report of whatever object type (Project, Task, Issue, etc), in the report's view, making the first column "ID", the second "Name", then switching the third column to text mode, then pasting the text mode you'd copied to (amazingly!) add a column for every parameter in that section to the report. Repeating that technique, with one report for every such section in hand, you can then simply run each report with no filter to (easily!) export all of your data to Excel, then count / sort / filter / conditional format as needed and identify no or low use "cull the column" candidates. With those candidates identified, you can then (confidently!) remove any parameters with no data, and or (carefully!) create a new custom form called "Archived Data", add the low use candidates parameters to it (repeating formulas for calculated parameters if need be), attaching (imperatively!) that form to all (or at least those with data in the low use candidates) objects via bulk update. Double check that the data then exists on both forms, and then (only!) remove the low use candidates from your original form, thereby freeing up the space you need. Alternatively, our Update Category Generator, Update Category, and/or Workfront Snapshot solutions might also be of use. And finally, hopefully before Vic points it out... You could just add the new parameters you need to a new form (boringly!) Good luck, and I look forward to hearing what you decide and how it goes. Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore

Level 9
Hi Kiersten, A while back I saved a parameter report I found here that allows you to input the field name and it will show you where it appears on what form(s) and the options that go with that field. This was seeing where this field is: This was showing any fields that contained PSG - in this example, it doesn't look like its being used anywhere any longer. This is the text mode used to show what options are part of that field: displayname=Form Options listdelimiter= listmethod=nested(parameterOptions).lists textmode=true type=iterate valuefield=value valueformat=HTML I know it's not exactly what you're looking for but maybe someone can pipe up with an improvement. You can also just choose at the prompt name of 'any'. Hope that helps.