Expand my Community achievements bar.

The Community Advisors application is now OPEN for the second class of 2024. Apply to become a part of this exclusive program!

Entering Actual Hours on Project Timeline

Level 1
Hi everyone! I don't know if this has been posted before or if this is the right place to post, but I was wondering if there was a reason why users aren't able to input/edit their Actual Hours on the Project Timeline. You are able to directly adjust Planned Hours on this view simply by clicking over the hours, however you aren't able to do it for Actual Hours. At my company, Users are assigned to many tasks on a daily basis so it would be a lot more convenient to be able to entering their 'Actual Hours' on this view rather than clicking on each individual task, logging time, and then going onto the next one. Diana Dizon
4 Replies

Level 10
hi there, this is behaving as intended. You should consider the actual hours field as being similar to a calculated field. It tallies up the logged hours for everyone assigned to the task or project. If you made it editable, people would forever overwrite each other's hours (and of course, there would be no way to specify exactly when the hours were spent). Please upvote (or have your authorized service contact upvote) the suggestion below to allow users to log time from within a report or a dashboard. The task view that you have a screenshot of, is considered a "report" so would be covered in this vote. title= >https://experience.workfront.com/s/idea/0870z000000PSa6AAG/detail OR title= >https://experience.workfront.com/s/idea/0870z000000PSgHAAW/detail -skye

Level 1
Hello! My question is on the reporting of Actual Hours - broken down by each user. I can run a report with Actual Hours as a field that is the sum, but need to see the individual hours logged by each user on a task or issue. Thanks! Michelle Michelle Phipps The Kenan Advantage Group Inc

Level 7
Hi everyone, Here's the answer on why it's not currently possible. Hours can be logged as different hour types (task type, or a custom hour type) on different days, and for different amounts. A single inline editable field would not provide enough detail for the database to enter all the associated information that is needed. (Entry date, or the day the time was logged to, or Last Update Date, the day the person entered their time. To expand upon this, if I enter my hours for the whole week each Friday afternoon, the entry dates will be Mon, Tues, Weds, Thurs, Fri. The "Last Update Date" will all show Friday though. So the short summary is because hours are complex objects and need more detail than an inline editable field can provide. Thanks everyone! Dustin Martin Assigned Support Engineer Workfront

Level 1
Hi all! Totally understandable! Thank you for explaining the reasoning behind this. I recognize that the "issue" is more specific to how my team operates. Regardless, I appreciate the feedback, thank you again! Diana Dizon Compass