Expand my Community achievements bar.

Email notification: Task ready to start

Level 2

Is there an email notification that notifies users when the first task in a project is ready to start? Our users receive the task completion, now your task is ready to start email, but that email isn't sent out for the first task in a project. We don't want to have "when a project becomes active" turned on since this notifies users every time we bring a project from planning to active for any type of adjustment to the timeline, which is frequent.

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

3 Replies

Level 2

There is none for that rule specifically - I have put in a support ticket for this as it does not feel like intentional behavior.

Workfront has "All Predecessor Task Completion to Task Dependents" which will send a notification, but only if the predecessor is on the task the user is assigned to. This does not work for sub tasks with a predecessor on the parent task. I tested with a report, sub tasks with predecessor parents switch the field canStart from false to true, but this does not trigger an event notification.

The fix from Workfront would be to change the trigger for "All Predecessor Task Completion to Task Dependents" to watch the canStart field.

Level 2

Hi Conner,

Thanks for the reply. Since it is the first task in the project (kickoff), there isn't a predecessor tied to it. I've noticed that users are missing the kickoff task since our team relies on email notifications if they're not in Workfront daily. It seems odd not to have an option to flag the first task is ready to start.

Level 2

Understood. The hack-y workaround would be to add a task on project templates for "switch project to active" and make the first task a predecessor of that.

Even If the existing notification rule was updated to use the canStart property on tasks that won't work because even if the project is not active, the canStart property will return true if there are no predecessors