Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Double Checking: Can we still not reference project typeahead fields on task or issue reports?

Level 10

Just wanted to check if someone has figured out how to reference a project's typeahead field (i.e. Back-Up PM) on a task report. I know before we all talked about doing a calculated field, but this group has a ton of fields already and I'm trying not to add more.

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

6 Replies

Level 10

I had a ticket opened regarding the typeahead fields and the fact that you couldn't reference anything from or to a typeahead field.

I wanted to rename the project "Company" field to "Client" and make it required. I created a typeahead field for companies, named it "Client" and made it required. But it didn't actually connect to the company so I couldn't pull any company information into the project. It's just a stand alone field with a text entry and no connection to anything, rendering it pretty useless.

Here are a few entries in the Inno-lab regarding this:

https://one.workfront.com/s/idea/0870z000000XhwIAAS/detail

https://one.workfront.com/s/idea/0870z000000XhPJAA0/detail

This one says it's delivered and there is a video explaining it, but it's the duplicated video from the one below it. So, there is no video explaining it: https://one.workfront.com/s/idea/0870z000000PSCfAAO/detail

The short answer is "no". Typeahead fields are just stand alone text fields still.

Level 10

Hi Randi - Thank you for this, but this is not what I was asking. I'm not looking for information tied to the typeahead field itself. I want to pull the name of the field from the project where it lives onto a task report.

As stated, I have a field on the project called Back-Up PM. I want to pull that into a task report. I'm not looking for info on the Back-Up PM's user profile.

Does that make sense?

Community Advisor

Can't even reference the typeahead field from a parent task on a task report.

Seems often when I try to use a typeahead field, these kinds of limiations force me back to a normal dropdown field.

If I used the typeahead field to today's use case, I would need to:

• create the new user typeahead field on a new custom form (since most of the data I'm pulling into this report is coming from the parent task and this would be the only custom data for the task pulling in with the report filters)
  • add that new custom form to all appropriate templates and existing child tasks on all existing projects
  • since these projects are being created by Fusion, and Fusion doesn't pull custom forms over from the template without extra modules to specifically grab and apply the custom forms, I'd also need to modify my Fusion scenario - and I just don't have time for that today when I can just add a regular dropdown to the existing form

Level 10

It seems typeahead fields were just partially implemented.

Employee

Referencing project typeahead field from a task report

displayname=Typeahead name
querysort=DE:Typeahead field name:name
textmode=true
valueexpression={project}.{DE:Typeahead field name:name}
valueformat=customReferenceObjectAsString  

For example, if the typeahead field name is "Account Manager" the code would be

displayname=Typeahead name
querysort=DE:Account Manager:name
textmode=true
valueexpression={project}.{DE:Account Manager:name}
valueformat=customReferenceObjectAsString  

Level 5

This worked great @dididunn , thank you so much!

Any idea how to use this in the task report Groupings?

-Edit-

Actually, never mind. This format worked for the grouping:

textmode=true
group.0.textmode=true
group.0.displayname=Typeahead name
group.0.valueexpression={project}.{DE:Typeahead field name:name}
group.0.valueformat=HTML