Expand my Community achievements bar.

Come join us for our Coffee Break this WEDNESDAY on top takeaways from Adobe Summit!

Do you have a unique name or an odd spelling? What's your best 'I have a unique name story'??

Employee

I had a conversation with another friend today who has a name that is unique and we started talking about how as children we always wanted a keychain with our name on it… but there never was one!

Just a year ago my mom actually got a leather keychain engraved with my name on it and gave it to me for Christmas which was just so sweet and thoughtful! And, I always had a fairly simple time getting usernames that are pretty simple, so that has always been a plus.

I’d love to hear from others with unique spellings/odd names/ names that are pronounced differently‚Ķ what your best story is around your name?

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

9 Replies

Community Advisor

0694X00000DTSEFQA5.jpg

My birth name is a set of chinese characters and I spent most of my childhood in western countries so never had the option of coming across a generic personalized keychain with my name on it. But last year while vacationing in Malaysia guess what I found?😂

Employee

What! That's so awesome! I love that you were able to find it somewhere! Also, super cool name. Skye and the birth name of the Chinese characters.

Community Advisor

My parents used to get a lot of compliments on my birth name from other chinese parents (one of my younger cousins was actually named with the same char as the photo I posted) but I never really felt normal until I saw my name on a keychain 😂

Employee

My last name is pronounced "fey" (like Tina Fey), but of course, most people think it's "foe" (like an enemy). Several times over the years I've had people think that my full first name was "Heather Faye" (like Peggy Sue) and they have even introduced me to someone else by saying, "This is Heather Fey Foe". I always have to make that awkward decision...am I going to correct them or not? ;-)

Employee

Haha, I get that decision completely. Like, do I just let people go on thinking my name is K - I- na or do I correct them with the "It's key-na, like Tina with a K"... but then that moment passes and you're totally just left responding to something that is not your name!

Level 10

In the hospital waiting room, as our triplets were about to be born and I was heading to the delivery room, I handed my parents and in-laws a bag of 4 inch tall individual and cutely-painted wooden letters and invited them to unscramble them to figure out each child's first name.

We finished first.

Regards,

Doug

Hah! Double surprise, I didn't know you had triplets - wow! And also, what a fun way to let them know the names of your kiddos. I'm impressed you remembered to bring those ON the way to the delivery room. I don't know that my mind would be that put together!

Level 10

"Quosig" says it all.

It's supposedly German, or something Franco-German. We pronounce it and describe it this way:

"quo" as in "quotation"

"sig" as in "signal"

I was told it's a bit more like "kvo-sig" in German.

Almost no one says it correctly on the first try. Most start adding extra letter sounds or entire sylables.

No one ever spells it correctly from hearing it. On the phone, my ritual is: "Q, U, O, S as in Sam, I, G as in George." Even then legit mail is mispelled. Junk mail comes in every conceivable mispelling and mangling.

It's like our last name is a magic word that causes the human mind to trip over itself in disbelief. ;-p

Employee

OH. Spelling things on the phone is the absolute worst. I have been there more times than I can count! I completely understand where you're coming from with the mind tripping over itself... also, because my first name is weird, people get really confused when I tell them my last name... Baker... which is a super common word... they can't believe they heard it correctly... and they're ALWAYS like "Oh, Baker, like someone who makes cookies..." Yes... exactly.