Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Do not display 'No Value' grouping...?

Level 8

I have a report grouped first by portfolio, then by program, then by a custom field 'sub program'. However, only one program in all these portfolios has sub programs. This means all my other programs have a sub program grouping called 'no value.' It drives my brand managers nuts and clutters the report.

So, can I tell Workfront to only group by sub program if the no value grouping is empty? In other words, if 'no value' has any content it will not display.

There's got to be a way to do this 😂

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi Samantha,

Since Portfolios and Programs are typically quite stable, one option is to create a Project level custom text field (e.g. "Reporting Portfolio Program") with a calculation such as CONCAT(IF(ISBLANK(Portfolio.Name),"None",Portfolio.Name)," | ", IF(ISBLANK(Program.Name),"All",Program.Name)), then group by (and sort by, I'd suggest) Reporting Portfolio Program.

By doing so, those Portfolios without Programs will return a suffix of " | All" (as opposed to the consternating "No Data"), and the Portfolio that does use Programs will instead break each out into its own grouping. By persisting the data in a custom parameter this way, you can also then chart the data (whereas with a dynamic grouping, although "always current", you could not).

Regards,

Doug

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Employee

Hey Sam,

So bad news... this isn't possible because the grouping value has to be something, it can't just be empty and will always show "no value"... but could you potentially split out the program that has the sub programs and put this all together on a dashboard instead (one report for the program with subs and a separate report for the others)? Then it would be similar but your report with no sub programs wouldn't have the "no value" grouping?

Maybe someone else from the community has a better suggestion!

Kyna

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi Samantha,

Since Portfolios and Programs are typically quite stable, one option is to create a Project level custom text field (e.g. "Reporting Portfolio Program") with a calculation such as CONCAT(IF(ISBLANK(Portfolio.Name),"None",Portfolio.Name)," | ", IF(ISBLANK(Program.Name),"All",Program.Name)), then group by (and sort by, I'd suggest) Reporting Portfolio Program.

By doing so, those Portfolios without Programs will return a suffix of " | All" (as opposed to the consternating "No Data"), and the Portfolio that does use Programs will instead break each out into its own grouping. By persisting the data in a custom parameter this way, you can also then chart the data (whereas with a dynamic grouping, although "always current", you could not).

Regards,

Doug

I knew you would have a work around Doug. Thanks for chiming in and sharing your expertise! And Happy New Year!

Hi Doug,

I was looking into implementing this on some of our reports, and the builder is throwing up errors on the Portfolio.Name and Program.Name areas. The closest I can get is PorfolioID and ProgramID, but that's not generally readable by our end users. Any thoughts? 

Level 10

Hi @RyanKirk,

I wonder if the syntax on the new version of the builder is tripping things up. Instead of:

CONCAT(IF(ISBLANK(Portfolio.Name),"None",Portfolio.Name)," | ", IF(ISBLANK(Program.Name),"All",Program.Name))

I suggest you try:

CONCAT(IF(ISBLANK({portfolio}.{name}),"None",{portfolio}.{name})," | ", IF(ISBLANK({program}.{name}),"All",{program}.{name}))

Regards,

Doug