Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Displaying Field Value on Reports

Level 1
Hello, I have a dropdown field that has a different value from its label. I would like the label to appear on the dropdown when someone is completing the form, but I would like the value to appear on reports. Is there a way to do this in text mode? Thanks! -MLB Mekesha Bonds Diamond Resorts
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

10 Replies

Level 2
I do have the same questions. Hope someone can help. Thanks. Marnelli Quilapio White & Case LLP

Level 10
Same question here too! I've never used that option on custom forms but would like to. Jamie Hill JLL EMEA

Community Advisor
We struggled with this and settled on adding a calculated field to the form. The calculation is a long if-then statement that creates a string equal to the selected value's label. We then report against the calculated field instead of the dropdown field. In our case, we input this data at the Portfolio level, then use the same calculated field at the project level to pull the nice value from the portfolio. This allows us to push the portfolio data all the way down to task and request levels. In the below example, UK, EU, JP, are the values, while United Kingdom, Europe, and Japan are the labels. (The actual formula is much longer, but you get the idea). Portfolio Field: Country_ IF(CONTAINS("UK",{Country}),"United Kingdom", IF(CONTAINS("EU",{Country}),"Europe", IF(CONTAINS("JP",{Country}),"Japan", IF(CONTAINS("CHN",{Country}),"China", IF(CONTAINS("IR",{Country}),"Ireland"))))) Project Field: Country_ IF($$NOW=$$NOW,Portfolio.{Country_},Portfolio.{Country_}) William English Disney Destinations
If you like my content, please take a moment to view and vote on my Idea Requests: https://tinyurl.com/4rbpr7hf

Level 10
Hi Mekesha, I agree with Williams "decode" approach to convert short values to longer more readable values (and find it especially useful for built in values such as Status, Priority, etc.). However, if I'm understanding correctly and you are in fact trying to show the shorter underlying value of your "Location" custom parameter in a report, suggest you: change the column in question into text mode locate the "value field ={DE:Location}" line replace it with value expression ={DE:Location} Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads

Community Advisor
Ah, bonus points to Doug for reading comprehension. I see now you actually want the values, not the labels :) In my defense, it was an early Monday morning response from me! Yeah, the decode solution is more useful when you are pulling labels through different levels of the hierarchy. So if we just put a calculation at the project level: Portfolio.{Country} then it would pull and display the abbreviated values that we don't want, as opposed to the labels which we do want. I promise to have my morning coffee before responding in the future :) William English Disney Destinations
If you like my content, please take a moment to view and vote on my Idea Requests: https://tinyurl.com/4rbpr7hf

Level 1
Thank you William and Doug for your response. Doug, you're expression worked perfectly in text mode! This is going to enhance our reporting significantly!!! -MLB Mekesha Bonds Diamond Resorts

Level 9
Hey all - this worked great, but does it not translate over to chart values?

Level 2
Hi Doug - I came across this post which is from quite a while ago, but I'm trying to display drop-down values from a project custom form on a Task report. I'vetried several different things, unsuccessfully. I'm wondering, is this not possible to use the valueexpression from a different object in reports? Any insight you can provide is appreciated! Trish Sparkman

Level 10
Hi Trish, If you use the following format, you can pull project custom fields from a task report: valueexpression={project}.{DE:Location} There are a bunch of examples in the "https://wf-pro.com/textmode/">WFPro text mode site to learn from if you haven't seen it already. Thanks, Narayan

Level 2
Thank you, Narayan! I was getting my periods and colons mixed up. I have actually been out to your site, and let me just say how much I appreciate it...I probably visit it at least 3-4 times a week. Thank you for providing this resource! Trish Sparkman Marketing & Communications Infrastructure Manager T +1 404-774-3383 patricia.sparkman@dxc.com DXC Technology 1775 Tysons Blvd. Tysons Corner, VA 22102 "http://www.dxc.technology"> dxc.technology DXC Technology Company - Headquarters: 1775 Tysons Boulevard, Tysons, Virginia 22102, USA. DXC Technology Company -- This message is transmitted to you by or on behalf of DXC Technology Company or one of its affiliates. It is intended exclusively for the addressee. The substance of this message, along with any attachments, may contain proprietary, confidential or privileged information or information that is otherwise legally exempt from disclosure. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy or disseminate any part of this message. If you have received this message in error, please destroy and delete all copies and notify the sender by return e-mail. Regardless of content, this e-mail shall not operate to bind DXC Technology Company or any of its affiliates to any order or other contract unless pursuant to explicit written agreement or government initiative expressly permitting the use of e-mail for such purpose. --.