Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Display Actual Hours for Issues on Project View

Level 10

Hi WF Community,

Does anyone know if it's possible to display Actual Hours for issues within a project view?

When you're viewing a list of tasks on a project, it's easy to add the Actual Hours column for the tasks that display. However, the rollup of actual hours for each task does not represent the actual hours that went into the issues belonging to those tasks.

I'm wondering if a calculated column could sum the actual hours for a task and its associated issues?

I know there are other ways of seeing actual hours for issues (reports, Hours tab on a project, Utilization feature), but curious if my above request is possible too?

Thanks.

Nick

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

4 Replies

Level 10

I guess an even simpler question would be:

Can I get any type of report that allows me to see sum hours (grouped) by task, which includes hours for any related issues (should a task have issues and issues hours associated to it, or not)?

Folks are sometimes managing budgeted hours by task, and they want to know if issues associated to tasks are chewing into their budgeted hours.

Level 10

Hi Nick,

For any parent report (Project, in your case), although you can iterate the children (Issues, in your case; or Tasks, also commonly), and even SORT that iteration (kinda...more on that later, now that my Braindates are done), getting the SUM of the children is not supported...let alone the sum an iteration of the Hours on the Issue itself, since iterating two collections (from Project > Issue, then Issue > Hour) is also (and even more so) not supported.

Your second simpler question is a good thought -- logically, moving down to a Task being "closer" to the Isssues -- but from a Task level parent report, is actually the exact same problem: canna SUM, and canna iterate two collections.

Instead, I suspect your original post's final line is the right direction to head: an hours report, grouped by Project > Task > Issue with a Sum on Hours should reveal any Issues chewing up hours on their (parent) Tasks (and Projects).

Regards,

Doug

Level 10

As always, great details explaining things, Doug.

I've tried every report under the sun in an attempt to group by source/parent task, while being able to see actual hours for both a task and its associated issue(s). Just not happening. Per your mention of using an Hours report and grouping by project>task>issue, it was close, but there's a disconnect between task and issue when you go to group them. It almost needs Source (or resolvable task ID) in the 2nd grouping.

Thanks again.

Level 10

Good point Nick,

Source (or resolvable task ID) on the 2nd grouping would better represent that relationship. Sounds like you're close, so good luck: I'm interested to hear how you make out.

Regards,

Doug