Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Date range not pulling correctly for report in text mode

Level 3

Hello - I have a ticket in with Support about this, but hoping the community may be able to answer quicker (no response from Support other than an acknowledgement of the ticket in 24 hours).

I have a report initially built in the report builder, which pulls all data between 11/01/2020 and $$TODAY. It's pulls tasks with a name that contains certain criteria. Because I have multiple task name criteria, I switched to text mode to add the other variables for task name. Before I switched to text mode, the report was pulling in data for the correct date range. Since switching to text mode, it's pulling in a year's worth of data prior to 11/01/2020.

This is what I have in text mode currently:

OR:1:task:name=BPS Review

OR:1:task:name_Mod=cicontains

OR:2:task:name=Production File

OR:2:task:name_Mod=cicontains

portfolioMM:ID=5bdb34fa00435dfb1b0179ebac27d6a1

portfolioMM:ID_Mod=in

task:actualCompletionDate=2020-11-01

task:actualCompletionDate_Mod=between

task:actualCompletionDate_Range=$$TODAY

task:name=Proofreading

task:name_Mod=cicontains

TIA for any help you can offer!

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

In your current setup, you are asking for three filters: Task with Proofreading for a portfolio between Nov 1 and now. Then you have tasks that contain BPS Review, and then tasks that contain Production File.

If you want the data range and portfolio for all the tasks, you have to include them in your filters.

project:portfolioID=5bdb34fa00435dfb1b0179ebac27d6a1

project:portfolioID_Mod=in

task:actualCompletionDate=2020-11-01T00:00:00:000

OR:1:project:portfolioID=5bdb34fa00435dfb1b0179ebac27d6a1

OR:1:project:portfolioID_Mod=in

OR:1:task:actualCompletionDate=2020-11-01T00:00:00:000

OR:1:task:actualCompletionDate_Mod=between

OR:1:task:actualCompletionDate_Range=$$TODAY

OR:2:project:portfolioID=5bdb34fa00435dfb1b0179ebac27d6a1

OR:2:project:portfolioID_Mod=in

OR:2:task:actualCompletionDate=2020-11-01T00:00:00:000

OR:2:task:actualCompletionDate_Mod=between

OR:2:task:actualCompletionDate_Range=$$TODAY

OR:2:task:name=Production Files

Also, over the years, I have learned I'm not the biggest fan of Contains filters. They take a long time to load and are not always accurate as someone might have Proofing or BPS Rev.

I use with my teams now a "tag" which is just a field on a custom form they can use to tag their tasks and then we use that for reporting. That way if one client likes to call it editorial and one likes to call it proofreading, we can have that be on the tasks, and we can still get unified reporting. After creating the custom field on a task custom form, I just create a view for them called "Tagging View" which has all the fields they are used to but with the extra column so they can easily in-line edit. Just thought I'd share that with you. :)

Anthony

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 10

In your current setup, you are asking for three filters: Task with Proofreading for a portfolio between Nov 1 and now. Then you have tasks that contain BPS Review, and then tasks that contain Production File.

If you want the data range and portfolio for all the tasks, you have to include them in your filters.

project:portfolioID=5bdb34fa00435dfb1b0179ebac27d6a1

project:portfolioID_Mod=in

task:actualCompletionDate=2020-11-01T00:00:00:000

OR:1:project:portfolioID=5bdb34fa00435dfb1b0179ebac27d6a1

OR:1:project:portfolioID_Mod=in

OR:1:task:actualCompletionDate=2020-11-01T00:00:00:000

OR:1:task:actualCompletionDate_Mod=between

OR:1:task:actualCompletionDate_Range=$$TODAY

OR:2:project:portfolioID=5bdb34fa00435dfb1b0179ebac27d6a1

OR:2:project:portfolioID_Mod=in

OR:2:task:actualCompletionDate=2020-11-01T00:00:00:000

OR:2:task:actualCompletionDate_Mod=between

OR:2:task:actualCompletionDate_Range=$$TODAY

OR:2:task:name=Production Files

Also, over the years, I have learned I'm not the biggest fan of Contains filters. They take a long time to load and are not always accurate as someone might have Proofing or BPS Rev.

I use with my teams now a "tag" which is just a field on a custom form they can use to tag their tasks and then we use that for reporting. That way if one client likes to call it editorial and one likes to call it proofreading, we can have that be on the tasks, and we can still get unified reporting. After creating the custom field on a task custom form, I just create a view for them called "Tagging View" which has all the fields they are used to but with the extra column so they can easily in-line edit. Just thought I'd share that with you. :)

Anthony

Level 3

This is very helpful Anthony - thank you!

I agree on not using "contains", but in this case it was a necessary step, as they are pulling historical data that did not include an alternate field to pull from.

I've tried the text you recommended, and the report is pulling perfectly now. Thanks again!

Jennifer