Expand my Community achievements bar.

Data "Hygiene" report

Level 1
I'm looking for a way to report on data "hygiene" (or perhaps data integrity/cleanliness) My goal is to be able to identify sloppy/incomplete/inaccurate/missing data in projects and tasks (dates, predecessors, assignments, status, etc.) so that we can drive our users toward maintaining cleanliness and accuracy, and ultimately give us faith that the the data we pull into other reports is clean and accurate. I'm not sure how to best approach this - and not even sure this is a rational goal. Anyone done something similar? Ideas/suggestions? Polite mockery is also acceptable :-). Jon Emerson Director - Brand | Creative | Video Maxim Integrated Products, Inc.
3 Replies

Level 8
This is a HUGE topic. Some pointers: The first category is things that are obviously wrong. Things that are late (tasks, projects, approvals, maybe issues) Things that are at risk of being late Things that are open and haven't had an update for more than [insert timeframe here] Planned vs Projected at task and project level A lot of my clients either have fields in a custom project form for a status update (that get overwritten), or a custom issue form and queue for status reports. Open projects with a status update more than [x] days old. A subset of this is things were Workfront and people disagree. If you have status reports where the PM nominates a R/A/G for status, timeline and cost, for example, look at WF's projected. If the PM is saying schedule is Green but WF thinks there's a 2 week difference between planned end date and projected end date... That's all fairly obvious. Other indicators are more cultural. For example, you can look for the total number of tasks in a project. But in some organisations, 200 would be waaaaaaay to many and in others it would be just enough. You'd need to define that. So defining such subjectives, you could look at: # of tasks in a project Duration of tasks (in some organisations, a duration over a week or so indicates not enough planning. In others, a task under 2 weeks in duration indicates too much planning not enough doing). % of tasks with predecessors Table of % of tasks per constraint (if all of the tasks are 'Must start on' for example, how is the PM managing slippage?) Status mismatch (tasks that are not 'complete' but are 100% - it can happen. Projects that are 'on target' with a large % of tasks past their planned start date but status is not 'in progress'). Total slack Table of tasks by slack % % of tasks unassigned / assigned to role or team / assigned to individual NASA actual used to have a schedule assessment tool methodology you could analyse a project plan looking at the above sort of stuff. It couldn't tell you if the plan was okay or not, but it could count flags so if you were looking at a portfolio of 100 projects, it would highlight the ones you should be looking at in a bit more detail. I'm not sure if it's still around or available in some form or not. Barry Buchanan - WMA Work Management Australia

Level 2
Completely appropriate. As a start, I've found this helpful: https://experience.workfront.com/s/article/Workfront-Cleanup-Dashboard Mike Pauley HANYS

Level 9
We do a little of this, primarily with Projects because of the data they need to have to support accurate reporting. I have a New Projects Report Audit Version that is automatically sent to me each Monday. It lists all of the projects created during the past week and a handful of key fields/data elements that need to be there. In our case, those are fields like Company, a couple of custom form fields, and whether another custom form exists on the project. I've used that report to compliment users who are doing the right things, and follow-up with those who habitually do not follow process. Alison Wells, MBA Senior Business Analyst Corporate Information Systems Business Systems Group Community Administrative Support Building (CASB) 2530 Divisadero St, Fresno, CA 93721 Office: (559) 459-7008, Internal: x57008 Cell/Pager: (559) 287-6800 - WARNING/CONFIDENTIAL: - This email, including attachments, may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law (including, but not limited to, protected health information). It is not intended for transmission to, or receipt by, any unauthorized persons. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you believe this email was sent to you in error, do not read it. Reply to the sender informing them of the error and then destroy all copies and attachments of the message from your system. Thank you.