Expand my Community achievements bar.

Do you have questions about the migration to Adobe Business Platform? Come join our upcoming coffee break and ask away!

Custom Form updates - create forms for multiple object types and embed images in them

Employee

Hello, Community,

I’m delighted to announce 2 exciting enhancements on custom forms that have been released to Preview.

You can now associate a custom form with multiple object types. You can add/remove object types for your forms at any time (even the forms that you’re already using today)This means that:

• you can create 1 custom form and use it on your projects, tasks and issues (or any other object that has custom form support).
  • such custom forms and the data saved in them will be automatically carried over during task/issue/project conversions! No more need to create and maintain exact copies of the same form for various object types just to be able to reliably transfer the custom data during the conversion process.

Please consider the following known temporary limitations that we will handle very soon:

• You cannot copy multi-object forms for now.
  • Please make sure you place all your fields under a section break in forms that have differing section break security options. We have standardized section break permissions for all object types and now support the following options: View, Limited Edit, Edit, Admin Only. Limited Edit is only available for project, task, issue, user object types. In case you create a form that can be used for these object types in addition to any other object type (for example create a form for projects and portfolios), all your fields must be under a section break, otherwise you will get an error message when trying to save the form. This is a temporary state and we will soon handle this case.
  • When you create a calculated field, please make sure you reference only common fields in the calculation available for all object types of the form. We’re planning to introduce a wildcard that will allow you to define specific calculations for form’s object types in the near future.

You can now embed images in your custom forms. This way you can utilize forms to communicate more interactive and visual content with your users. Please consider that for now the images you add to the custom forms will load only in areas that

Please take a few minutes to check out the mentioned updates and let me know your feedback!

Thanks!

Lilit

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

13 Replies

Level 10

Thanks Lilit,

In what ways does do these affect the way the category, objectCategory, and parameterValues APIs work, and which API can be used for the images?

Regards,

Doug

Employee

Hello, Doug,

We have introduced objTypes field for custom forms, that you can use to assign multiple object types to the form.

Also we there is a new field for Parameter object called 'fieldDefinition' that you can use to create an image by providing 'fieldType' and 'url' attributes, for example:

"fieldDefinition": {

"fieldType":"image",

"url":"https://cc-prod.scene7.com/is/image/CCProdAuthor/dt_ps_us_pod2_968x552?$pjpeg$&jpegSize=200&wid=801"

}

These updates will be available with API v15.0.

Level 10

Thank you @Lilit Mkrtchyan‚

I checked in preview.

That is good to embed images, is it possible to select image from local drive. Which is more practical while designing form. Not all images are available from http//

Mvh

Kundan.

Employee

Hi, Kundan,

We are planning to allow uploading files in image fields in upcoming releases.

Level 10

Is there a standard process to embed an image from a Workfront folder? Not everyone has access to a https folder to house images. In fact, a LOT of organizations have rules against that.

Embedding images from a Workfront Documents folder would be optimum and allow the vast majority of users to use this feature.

Level 10

I agree @Randy Roberts‚ . In general very rare user uses such option via https://.

Mvh

Kundan.

Level 10

Images embedded within custom forms will need to live within the WF environment or it's a no-go for us as well.

Employee

Hi, all,

You can embed images uploaded to Workfront folders. You can upload the image in Documents area, click the document name to open the image itself and then use that image url in the custom form. Please make sure to share the document properly so that your users can view it when you embed it in the form.

Thanks!

Level 10

I'm trying to test, but the Documents area won't come-up in Preview for me. Going to create a ticket.

Level 10

Just clicking on the name of the image file results in a "amazonaws" URL that will expire.

I think we need an easy way to get the Workfront URL:

https://mydomain.my.workfront.com/internal/document/preview?versionID=620eaa7200041fad28f4e1c24990816c

Employee

Great point, Randy. This is the first phase of our updates, and we're planning further enhancements for adding/uploading documents in the form builder, as well as in custom data by end users, so there will be better and easier ways to add images to your custom data.

Thanks!

Lilit

Level 3

This is a great addition to Workfront and one that should save us a lot of time.

Can you please elaborate on how we will be able to convert custom forms to a single form to be used over multiple objects? We are going through an audit of our forms this year and this should help with the cleanup.

Thank you.

Employee

Hi, Jonathan,

If you go to Preview and edit one of your custom forms, at the top of the Edit Form screen you can add additional object types, after which you can attach the form to those objects in your system.

Thanks!

Lilit