Expand my Community achievements bar.

Custom fields that pull data from other fields in other form types...

Level 3
Hi all, We use the "Companies" for our client list. Each company has a custom form attached that has fields like "Region" "Market (DMA)", "Client Code", etc. In each project, We choose a Company as the client when the project is opened. I need to get that Company's "Region" "Market (DMA)", "Client Code", etc. information into the project somehow. Is there a way to leverage that Company choice to auto-fill the "Region" "Market (DMA)", "Client Code", etc. in a project form based on the Company that was chosen? I tried creating a Project form and attaching it to the project but it won't let me CONCAT a single field to a project form from a Company form. It will only let me CONCAT project fields. This would be a great way to tie a Company table to a Project table. To extend that further, I'd like a way to tie a team to a Company, like to tie the "ACME Widgets Account Services Team" to the "ACME Widgets" Company. Or even tying a person to Client accounts they work on. Any ideas on this? Randy Roberts Zimmerman Advertising LLC
9 Replies

Level 4
Randy, My first question is why you need the data on the project form? This answer will determine which of the 2 options below you may want to use. Option 1: The cleanest way is to use reporting/views to get the data you need. Create a project report and add columns with the company data you want. Option 2: Use a formula in a calculated field on the project form like "Company.Region". I hope this helps! David
DAVID A. TAYLOR Founder & Managing Consultant

Level 10
Agreeing with David, either one of those option should work! :) Admin Kelly-Wehrmann SSFCU

Level 8
I was able to pull in Company info via the Sponsor, but not from the Company selection on the project itself. I don't think there is a Company -> Project hierarchy. Sponsor.Company.Client Code -> worked Company.Client Code -> didn't work

Level 10
That's curious, Adina. Perhaps the Project you chose did not have a Company directly assigned to it, but the Sponsor did (to their user). Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads

Level 3
@David Taylor - moventus , Thanks for the reply. When we create task reports, we need to know the region and market and manufacturer the client is associated with, but getting company info on a task report is difficult if not impossible. Example: CMPY (Custom form attached to each company) Company: ACME Cars of Tulsa DE:Client: ACME Cars of Tulsa DE:Region: Central DE:Market: Tulsa, OK DE:Manufacturer: Chevrolet -- TASK Name: Edit Video Project ID: ACME467952 DE:Client: ACME Cars of Tulsa (This is manually chosen on a project form when the job is opened, this should tie the CMPY and TASK together, but it doesn't) (CMPY.) Company (CMPY.) DE:Region: (CMPY.) DE:Market: (CMPY.) DE:Manufacturer: Now there's no way (that I know of) to autofill the Company, Region, Market, and Manufacturer fields in a task from the same fields in a Company. I can put company info on a company report and task info on a task report, but it has been a real challenge to put fields from one table into a report that calls another table. I once tried to put project document info on a task report and even had a Workfront developer tell me that was impossible. If I could put those same company fields on a project form, they may be easier to pull into a task report. Am I even looking at this the most efficient way? Randy Roberts Zimmerman Advertising LLC

Level 4
Randy, Thanks for letting me know you are looking at a task report and not a project report. One important feature of Workfront reporting is to know that you can go up to 3 objects away so it is still possible to get the Company level information on a task report...but it does require text mode. Use valuefield=project:company:DE:Region As long as the company is assigned to the project this should work!! Let me know if this helps! Thanks, David
DAVID A. TAYLOR Founder & Managing Consultant

Level 3
Awesome, thanks. I will try using that. Randy Roberts Zimmerman Advertising LLC

Level 3
Yay! that worked, thank you. Now if I could put project document and approval info on a task report, that would make my day! Randy Roberts Zimmerman Advertising LLC