Expand my Community achievements bar.

Custom Column to state if a task is a parent task

Level 3

When using the "Parent" Field in a Task View it displays the project name when the task is a parent task. We're aiming to display "Parent Task" when the "Parent" field matches the project name, indicating it is a parent task. Otherwise, it should display the task name, indicating it's a child task. Here's is the calculated column formula I've been trying but is not working:

displayname=Parent Task
textmode=true
valueexpression=IF({backlogParent}={project:name},"Parent Task",{backlogParent})
valueformat=HTML

3 Replies

Level 6

I can't get backlogParent to work in a valueexpression (only as valuefield), but does this get what you want?

displayname=Parent Task
textmode=true
valueexpression=IF({numberOfChildren}>0,"Parent Task",{parent}.{name})
valueformat=HTML

Level 3

Thank you, but that does not work either. I also tried:

displayname=Parent Task

textmode=true
valueexpression=IF({backlogParent}={project:name},"Parent Task",{backlogParent})
valueformat=HTML

Employee Advisor

@JohnMi I'm curious as to how your project timelines are structured - are all tasks within the project timeline organized by a parent-child relationship? Or do you have standalone tasks with no parent and no children (meaning the real parent task is the project name)? 

If the first option, then you can use the following:

displayname=Parent/Child Tasks
textmode=true
valueexpression=IF({numberOfChildren}>0,"Parent Task",{name})
valueformat=HTML

If the latter option, how would you want those displayed in your report? Because they have no child tasks, they aren't really a parent task, so the project name would be the parent.