Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Custom billing rates per individual, per portfolio (or project)?

Level 10

Hi WF Community,

Does anyone know if WF has plans to add the ability to add custom billing rates per individual, per portfolio (or even further down, per project)?

At present, you can only add a billing rate per individual on their user record; however, if that user has a $80/hr bill rate for Portfolio A, and a $95/hr bill rate for Portfolio B, and a $110/hr bill rate for Portfolio C, there's no current way to solve for this. Yes, you can set them up under a job role and control custom bill rates at the company and project levels, but we have way too many people to do this for, and would have to set up hundreds, if not thousands, of job roles to account for the many custom bills rates per individual. This would destroy the intended use of job roles for other needs, and would be a beast to maintain.

Thanks,

Nick

4 Replies

Level 10

Hi - To get some clarity on your situation, you could potentially have both Billy and Carol working on the same project for the same client with the same job role (i.e. Sr. Copywriter) and one has a different bill rate than the other does?

I've had groups where they needed someone to bill as a different job role (usually more junior), because they didn't have an employee at the moment with that job role and the client wasn't willing to pay extra for the other role. We just added the role as an "other role" to her profile and the PM just had to make sure she had the lower job role for her tasks for those projects.

I've also had groups use templates to capture project-specific bill rates when they are working for the same Company as the other groups but they have special rates for the client the other groups do not. Thought I'd throw that out as well.

Level 10

Thanks Anthony,

I like the Template idea; effectively, that could simplify the rate question to be 1:1 per Portfolio, while still allowing for rate tweaks on a project by project basis, and solves the whole "annual rate adjustment (by Portfolio)" conundrum. As a best practice, I'd recommend using billing records (whether created manually, or via our Auto-Bill solution) to lock in hours and rates periodically (e.g. 3 business days following each Month End is a typical pattern).

Regards,

Doug

Level 10

Thanks, guys!

The template route might be interesting, but wondering if it would be a big lift/tough to maintain?

If I understand correctly, we would set up project templates for each portfolio, and include the appropriate job role rates specific to that portfolio? For example: Carol is in the Project Manager job role. The Project Manager job role billing rate is $55/hr on Portfolio A template, $45/hr on Portfolio B template, and $67/hr on Portfolio C template?

If this is correct, it would appear that this still assumes that everyone in a given job role should have the same rate depending on what portfolio they're working on, correct?

Level 10

Correct, all project managers for Portfolio A template would be $55/hr. If that is true, this should work great.

(And yes, it is annoying to maintain this. You have to have trustworthy Finance people who will contact you the minute something changes so you can update it)