Expand my Community achievements bar.

Cross Preds

Level 3
Hi Everyone, We are just starting to experiment with cross predecessors and in our first project we haven't received our desired results. We went into the task > cross preds > chose the appropriate project and task, and picked "finish-finish" with no lag time. Is that the appropriate option when we want one task complete in project A = to complete project B's task? And should it happen right away if no lag time is chosen? And we chose "enforce" as well if that helps. Hopefully this image above came out ok. As you might be able to see I have finish-finish and this task is complete in the Content Strategy job. Here is the task that we want it to complete, and it's not: As I type this I am wondering if dates have anything to do with it. The one we want complete has an earlier date then the predecessor. Any insight will be helpful. Maybe it will be fine tomorrow because 0 lag time might be overnight? thanks in advance. -Mike Mike Marando Excelsior College
4 Replies

Level 10
I can tell you that we experimented with that and it wasn't not useful at all. The main drawback is that it must be manually done for each project; you can not have a project template that has cross dependency to another template. I have a submission on the idea exchange to have parent/child projects which might interest you. It is already being considered but an up-vote would really be appreciated. "https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/115003990633-Parent-Child-Projects">https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/115003990633-Parent-Child-Projects Michael Lebowitz WorkFront System Administrator Product Development and Business Operations Michael.Lebowitz@guidewellconnect.com T 904-436-4240 | M 904-200-1364 Fax 904-565-6156 4800 Deerwood Campus Pkwy Jacksonville, FL 32246

Level 3
Just quickly looking at this thread and task, you have a start no later than constraint, which I believe is preventing the relationship from taking effect since your constraint will override the predecessors. There is a report that I found on the support site, I will see if I can find it (a quick search did not pull it up). This will show you the impacting and impacted tasks, which you will want to see once you get more than one of those. Post back if that doesn't work and I will take a deeper look. Dale Whitchurch Arthrex Inc

Level 3
Creating a cross project dependency, of any type, will not automatically make a task complete in the other project. It just means that the task in Project A must be complete before the linked task in Project B can be complete (In this case, with a Finish - Finish, and enforced). I hope that makes sense. Wayne Ellyson OH-DAS

Level 10
Hi: Dale is right – if you have a Must Finish, Must Start, Fixed Dates task constraint, it ignores the predecessor relationships. Thanks! Eric