Expand my Community achievements bar.

Do you have questions about the migration to Adobe Business Platform? Come join our upcoming coffee break and ask away!

Cross object fields on custom form

Level 10
Hi I'm struggling with understanding how fields work on custom forms when they are cross-object. Here is the scenario: I have created an Expense Form and it's working really nicely and it is displayed as a report on a tab in projects. However, there are some fields from this form that I would like to also show up in the Project form that is attached for easy viewing. I've tried 2 ways: I created a form using the same custom fields but this time as a Project type of form. I also added the fields to an existing Project-type form. However, in neither case do the Expense fields populate. I think I expect this to work because fields from an Issue custom form will populate the fields on a Project custom form when I create a project from an issue, so why doesn't this work the same way? What am I doing wrong? Thanks, Jill Jill Ackerman
13 Replies

Level 3
You're not doing anything wrong. I have tried similar things in WF and it just doesn't work that way. If I have a field called "ABC" on a project form and then I put that field "ABC" in a task form, the value for Task.ABC will not display the value from Project.ABC. I would love for it to work this way but it just doesn't. Each display of the ABC field is a difference instance with different values in a different table. Perhaps someone with more knowledge of the database schema can elaborate on exactly how it works and maybe a way to achieve what you're looking for? Randy Roberts ZPA - Zimmerman Advertising LLC

Level 10
I don't do anything with expenses so I can't speak to the original example, but @Randy Roberts I thought you would have been able to point to the Project.ABC field by using a calculated field at the task level. Did you guys try that and have it fail? -skye

Level 10
You might be able to do a calculated field on the task form that gets its value from the project form. From a task report you can get the value from the project level. Michael Lebowitz GuideWell Connect

Level 3
TX, I hadn't thought of using a calculated field, mainly because I may need to enter or edit the value for the project level field in a task report. A calculated field would probably work fine for display though. This would work for Jill Ackerman . Randy Roberts ZPA - Zimmerman Advertising LLC

Level 10
@Randy Roberts If you need to edit that project field from a task, you should probably incorporate it into Workfront's new "Home" feature -- the project fields incorporated on a task view in Home could be edited there (at least for our custom fields). Otherwise this might be able to be accommodated through API (our API developer tells us it's possible but then also tells us that he can't schedule that work, so we haven't been able to test whether he's right). -skye

Level 10
Oh, and PS: for a task report, we've had some amount of luck using project reports and reporting on "task" collections. -skye

Level 3
Skye - You hit on what i've been trying to accomplish. Without using custom form. I'm trying to report on cross objects. I've successfully been able to report Up (ie.... I've been able t report project information on a task report). I'm struggling with getting the correct syntex to report task objects on a Project Report. As a work around I've been able to report task milestones, but I don't want to make every milestone a task. I thought task collections may be the trick, but I haven't been able to work it out. Any guidance on reporting tasks on a project report would be greatly appreciated. This is what I've [unsuccessfully] tried: displayname=m12 linkedname=direct listdelimiter=‍ listmethod=nested(tasks).lists textmode=true type=iterate valueexpression=IF({task:name}=M12: Constr. Permit Recd., {projectedCompletionDate},"") valueformat=html Assigning a milestone id: works in this example: (I just have many tasks that I want to report on on a project report that I don't want to add as milestones) displayname=M12:Milestone Display listdelimiter=‍ listmethod=collection(tasks).lists textmode=true type=iterate valueexpression=IF({milestone}.{ID}="5c61aad90268ac2b33b0791ace4cf0af",{projectedCompletionDate},"") valueformat=Date Patricia Greene JLL

Level 10
Hi Patricia, Just a typo, I suspect. Instead of this: valueexpression=IF({task : name}=M12: Constr. Permit Recd., {projectedCompletionDate},"") try this: valueexpression=IF({task }.{ name}= " M12: Constr. Permit Recd. " , {projectedCompletionDate},"") Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads

Level 3
Thanks @Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore Unfortunately, that didn't work. I've still been unable to crack the code to add a Task as a column on a Project report. I'm thinking I've heard before that it can't be done, and using the milestone work around was the only way to do so. If you have any other suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it. Patricia Patricia Greene JLL

Level 10
the report gods can correct me if I'm wrong, but here's my opinion. You're already calling the collection. (the "nested(tasks.lists)") bit. So you don't have to say "task.name" AGAIN. You can just say "name". e.g. valueexpression=IF({name}="M12: Constr. Permit Recd.", {projectedCompletionDate},"") Please note: I did not audit the rest of the line for correctness. I just zoned in on the "task" part of the line. -skye

Level 10
Ah -- right you are, Skye. Thanks for the correction. Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads

Level 10
phew! honestly was sitting here waiting to be struck by lightning. -skye

Level 3
OMG it works!! Thank you so much @Skye Hansen and @Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore for your help. I was advised you couldn't report tasks on an project level view/report and all documentation pretty much shows projects on task reports. I knew there had to be a way and spent hours, just to hit a wall. Thank you so very much. this is a life saver to be able to report both project level and task level data in 1 report. Patricia Patricia Greene JLL