Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!
SOLVED

Cross-Object Calculated Field (Sum Hours from all Tasks and Issues)

Level 10

Hi WF Community,

I'm looking to accomplish the following:

* Creation of a custom calculated field on the Project object called Billable Hours

* The logic for this field is as follows:

• Use the sum value of all Actual Hours logged for all of the project's tasks and issues if this sum value is larger than the sum value of the project's Planned Hours from all of the tasks and issues

Is this possible? It's been a while since I played around with calculated fields, and can't recall how to grab the sum value from related objects (tasks and issues).

Thanks!

Nick

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 6

Are you also timesheeting directly on the project? Because if not, all the hours on a project (field "Actual Hours") should already be the sum of all tasks/issues.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Level 10

I think you could aggregate hours on "work items" for this. From what I understand, a Work Item is both task and/or issue. You can then compare logged hours vs planned hours.

I know this is incredibly simplified but I think the approach is sound. Maybe someone who knows more about Work Items can chime in.

Correct answer by
Level 6

Are you also timesheeting directly on the project? Because if not, all the hours on a project (field "Actual Hours") should already be the sum of all tasks/issues.

Level 10

Thanks, Randy and Chris. I forgot that the Actual Hours on the project object is a rollup of all hours from tasks and issues. That, combined with the Planned Hours (project object), should get me what I need in a calculated field with an IF statement. Cheers!