Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!
SOLVED

Create a record ranking number in a view/report

Level 4

Hello,

How can I create a record ranking number in a single view or report?

For instance, there is a view or report created with 10 records. Then, I sort those in a certain way, e.g. by date. At that point, I'd like to have a record number in the first column to show me 1, 2, 3, ..., 10. In that case, I may refer to... "Record 5, 7, and 8..." without counting the records/lines on the screen. It could be more complicated, such as "Record 16, 22, and 34...", etc. Then, I may change the sorting, e.g. by % Complete. I want to have the ranking number from 1 thru N (top to bottom), again. And son on and so forth.

Is there a way to add a (static) line/record ranking number column in a view or report with sorting being changed? Thank you.

Best,

+Pavlin

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Nope, not natively, Pavlin.

Regards,

Doug

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 10

Nope, not natively, Pavlin.

Regards,

Doug

Level 4

Doug, What about with some programming? Do you have any ideas? ;)

Level 10

Oh, well that's entirely different Pavlin,

If I'm allowed to cheat and use dark matter, we could whip up a Magic Report solution for you that presents the data in a grid layout similar to what you'd see in the Workfront report (heck, maybe even read the definition from it), but when its then presented, add a line number entry in the first column for easy reference; and even alternate the grid row colors etc. if you want to get fancy.

That said, it's such a good, simple idea, I'd think that maybe @Jeremy Flores‚ could consider grafting it into a future release of Basic Views (and Reports), and/or @Matt Thomas‚ might like to incorporate it into the upcoming New Reporting Experience; but of course, I'll leave it to them to comment further.

Regards,

Doug

This is a fantastic idea @Pavlin Panayotov‚ and @Doug Den Hoed‚! Having the ability to toggle on line numbers for rows in a table seems like a great feature to incorporate in the new reporting experience. @Pavlin Panayotov‚ do you mind scheduling some time with me to make sure I have fully captured your idea and then talk about possible ways to implement it https://calendly.com/matt-thomas-wf/30min. Thanks!

Level 4

Hi Matt, Just scheduled time with you. Chat soon. Thank you.

Employee

@Pavlin Panayotov‚ @Doug Den Hoed‚ great idea! If Matt wouldn't have beat me to the punch I would've considered taking this on myself :).

Level 4

Hey Jeremy,

Thank you for your reply. Moreover, Matt and I had a very good conversation on Friday. As far as I understand, Matt has already considered this row numbering solution for a future product release. Good things are coming down the line from Workfront... as always!

Cheers,

+Pavlin