Expand my Community achievements bar.

Copying tasks from Project to Board - Displaying all subtasks/child tasks as individual cards

Level 1

I set up an individual board to manage tasks in one large team project along with my own personal tasks. When I added tasks from the team project to my personal board, it copies over all the parent tasks, with subtasks as a checklist in the parent task card, but it also added all of the individual child tasks as cards as well...with no indication of what parent task they belong to. 

It seems like I'm missing an obvious organization setting. I'm a 10 year JIRA user who's had a heck of a time adjusting to this tool, and can't seem to get very basic organization accomplished! Any help is welcome. Thanks!

5 Replies

Level 7

Hi Erica, 

I'm not clear on what you're trying to accomplish so I'll just give you a couple suggestions.

If you want to only see the child tasks and not the parents with the subtasks as you've described, add a filter to the board for 'Number of Children = 0'. If you want to only see the Parent Tasks then change that filter to show 'Number of Children > 0'. 

Love that you've been in Jira too.  I also work in that tool and it took me a while to get used to how it's configured. Just be patient and keep asking questions, this community is ALWAYS helpful. 

Hope this helps, 

Teale

Level 1

Hi - thank you for the quick reply! Here's what my board filters look like. Am I missing something where you can input a filter as you described? Maybe it's a permissions issue?

Level 7

Hi Erica - 

On the right hand side of the screen, click Configure, then click Add filter sources, select Tasks or Issues, click New Filter then type the field name, Task: Number of Children, etc.

TealeMcCleaf_0-1713907057888.png

Best - 

Teale

Level 1

Where I see the ability to add filters is on the intake sources only. I don't want to change the intake source, I just want to see Parent Tasks and Subtasks grouped together, OR only see parent tasks on the board.

From some poking around in the tool, I think next quarter setting up the full team's quarterly projects as a Portfolio or Program instead of one project will help some of the issues I'm experiencing. So just trial and error for this first go at using this tool.

(I still think Jira is wayyyyy more customizable and easier to set up the exact view you want on a kanban board.)

Employee

Hi EricaTa, 

I would recommend adding a filter to the intake source to filter for Task:Number of Children is greater than 0, as shown below. That will ensure that only parent tasks show on your board. 

AleciaM1_0-1715130731053.png