Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for our Coffee Break Sweepstakes on July 16th! Come ask your questions or share your use cases on Creative Briefs for a chance to win a piece of Workfront swag!

Contractors time tracking

Level 2
In Workfront, hours are entered at the task level. We have a large group of contractors that we need to track exact time for when they start work, when they take lunch/breaks, when they sign off working for the day. This would mean that our contractors will have 2 timesheets. One to track the hours they work on tasks and one to log in the exact times they work and not work. Would love to hear from you if you have contractors who have to keep 2 timesheets and how that is going. My team would like to look into how we can just have one timesheet. Have anyone use the Workfront API to integrate with another timesheet tool or program that would allow workers to only enter in time once and then have that data feed into Workfront? Phuong Kress Electro Creative Workshop
7 Replies

Level 10
Hi Phuong, I invite you to consider both our "https://store.atappstore.com/product/stopwatch/">Enterprise Stopwatch and/or "https://store.atappstore.com/product/ubertimesheet/">UberTimesheet solutions, each of which automatically store hours directly in Workfront. Regards, Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads

Level 2
Thansk @Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore . I could not tell from the links above if either solutions have timestamps for the workers' hours. So if a worker started on a task at 9:00am, it would record that time. Phuong Kress Electro Creative Workshop (users)

Level 10
Hi Phuong, Yes, Executive Stopwatch works that way, recording time as work occurs, where UberTimesheet is designed to record work after the fact. Normally, users can edit their own hours via Workfront (eg corrections, rounding, etc), so if you're also trying to use recording time to "ensure users are doing what they are supposed to be doing, when it is supposed to be done" (unpopular though it might be with the users), we could also set either solution up to prevent such edits. This then protects whatever was entered, as is, until a formal, controlled request for an edit (eg "I forgot to click start on the task I was working on after I got back from lunch"). I'd be interested to understand from you (or others following this thread) when this Enforced Time Keeping concept would be warranted, as -although powerful - it is rather heavy handed. Regards, Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads

Level 10
P.S. I've just remembered that I can also ask an expert: @Doug Williams , given you PhD thesis is about Remote Workers , when (if ever) would Enforced Time Keeping make sense, in your experience? Regards, Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads

Level 9
Hi, Phuong. We encountered a similar problem this year, when our parent company switched to Workday to handle all payroll. The rest of the company (who don't use Workfront and don't do project-based work) simply switched to entering their time directly in Workday. In our department, since we enter time in Workfront in order to track labor costs on our projects, this would have required our hourly workers to enter time in both Workfront and Workday. Double time entry was a nonstarter for our management team. So, we developed an integration that exported our hourly workers' hours from Workfront into a highly structured CSV file that could be uploaded into Workday on "payroll day." (This took some doing, and quite a bit of back-and-forth and testing with the Workday implementers.) The company's implementation of Workday requires a "Start time" and "End time" for every day for hourly workers--but our department wasn't particularly concerned about that. We were more concerned with ensuring that any overtime gets captured. So the app we built assumes that all workers have an 8 AM start time, then calculates an end time based on the number of hours (or fractions of hours) worked during that day. This information is provided as part of the CSV export that is uploaded into Workday. If you have to capture a "real" start and end time for each day, I'd suggest you explore using the "Comment" field to capture that information for each hour entry in the Workfront timesheet. That content is reportable, so the API *should* be able to access it. Our approach was possible because we have a professional programmer on staff who's been working with the Workfront API for years--and even then it took several months to develop and test before rollout. If you don't have that kind of expertise or development time available, you'll be wiser to go with one of Doug's suggestions. ~Eric Eric Manning Language Line Translation Solutions

Level 2
Thanks @Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore . We looked at Enterprise Stopwatch and there seems to be no way to record or and modify the time records. Can you confirm if a user can modify the clock time? What if someone forgets to stop the time before they leave work? Phuong Kress Electro Creative Workshop (users)

Level 10
Thanks Phuong, Although (by design) Enterprise Stopwatch does allow the end user to interfere with the counter, beside each item tracked it does provide a button which -- when clicked -- automatically takes the user to the item in question within Workfront. Everything about that item is then available to the end user (subject to their Workfront security, of course), including the ability to round, correct, or delete the Hours sent via Enterprise Stopwatch. As for accidentally leaving it running, Enterprise Stopwatch has two features to help: 1) starting another session (e.g. from your smart phone during your bus ride on the way home, having realized you left it running) will then stop the previous one (e.g. back at the office), and 2) there is a maximum cap (e.g. 8 hours) after which a task is deemed to have been forgotten, so time tracking stops, and the hour is left in a state (behind the scenes) that allows a Workfront SysAdmin to then easily identify and correct it. If you have additional questions, you're welcome to contact me directly via doug.denhoed@atappstore.com. Regards, Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads